Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

100% Failure Rate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 100% Failure Rate?

I usually try to not bash other brands because they all have their strengths and weakness'. But this news story from a town here in Connecticut really makes me think there is some credibility to people's claims that Ford diesel's truly are unreliable junk. The city bought two diesel ford ambulances and both are dead and completely unreliable. What blows my mind is that the Fire Chief even hints at getting more Ford's, just without the diesel power plant!

Story Link:
http://www.wfsb.com/news/21184757/detail.html#

Video Link:
http://www.wfsb.com/video/21186787/index.html

Plus several of the towing companies around here have done major overhauls on their old ford 7.3l rigs and are still using them as they have already bought and gotten rid of the 6.0 and 6.4 rigs they purchased. The rest are going the V10 route (Talk about fuel costs!) and a few others have been giving the 4500 and 5500 ram's a shot(I haven't heard many grumblings about them yet...).

All in all... its just sad for everyone if you ask me.

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am sure it has to do with prices. I have hated Fords for all of my adult life so I can not be sure but I have seen so many companies that buy MANY fleet vehicles and they almost all seem to buy the Ford junk! I never have figured it out.
I worked for a small communications contractor several years ago and he was a diehard Ford fan and owned 3 truck with powerjokes and all 3 kept giving him problems. He insisted they were the best rucks out there and would not buy anything different.
Most large utility companies around here all buy Fords, both gas and diesel. It has to somehow be related to cost up front and not long term cost.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
It is because the Ford "junk" is a better overall " work truck" than dodge or gm.

Face up to it, and we'll all be happier.

Their diesels are absolute garbage. And I will freely admit that, the failure rates, even on the older 7.3 engine, are unacceptable. The fuel mileage, diesel or gas, sucks... no more needs to be said.

Take the engine out of the equation, and they still have the strongest built work trucks out there, in the 350,450,and 550 class. They take a BRUTAL beating in industry, and keep coming back for more. The dodge and gm front ends, with their less than desirable designs, just didn't cut it.

There is a reason that I have a 550 ford for a work truck now. Actually, a couple reasons, but one major reason is that Dodge came along too late with their 5500 series. If they had one pre-emissions, then I would have bought it, and dealt with the weaker coil sprung front end, but the combination of the emissions engine and the coils on the front, told me to stay away from it.

I have had engine problems with the 7.3, and I get terrible fuel economy. No joke there, however, it hasn't left me on the road so far. The rest of the drivetrain, other that consumables like brakes, u-joints, and tires, has been pretty bulletproof. And this unit has 410,000 km on it, of industrial use, both on and off-highway.

I am currently looking into a bit bigger truck for what I do, just so I can have more deck and box space, but if someone wanted to swap a cummins into an F550, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the rest of the truck.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have noticed lately that most of the new wreckers I see running the roads now is either a Dodge or GM. I remember when Ford use to rule the wrecker world.

MikeyB
Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about Obama and his gang.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pind
It is because the Ford "junk" is a better overall " work truck" than dodge or gm.

Face up to it, and we'll all be happier.

Take the engine out of the equation, and they still have the strongest built work trucks out there, in the 350,450,and 550 class. They take a BRUTAL beating in industry, and keep coming back for more. The dodge and gm front ends, with their less than desirable designs, just didn't cut it.
On the farm I have had a 97,99,05 Fords and 2000,04,06 Dodges. Everything in the Dodges hold up better except for the plug in for the trailer lights. The plug in for Dodge is junk compared to the Ford.
Funny that the newer Ford front ends have coil springs like the Dodges.
I have had a lot better luck with the Dodge front ends over the Fords. But I will say the 05 Fords front end has been good so far. But then again it doesn't get used much because it doesn't have the power to pull anything.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
But I will say the 05 Fords front end has been good so far. But then again it doesn't get used much because it doesn't have the power to pull anything.
That just made me laugh!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Man Rodd, you hit it on the head.

Not enough power to pull the scum off warm rice pudding.

My buddy with his 98 dodge, towing a 26' fifth wheel, can out accelerate my 01 550... that is disgusting.

However, the ford that I am driving, outlasted the dodge track bar located front end, and even the ball joints, by 3:1. I can live with that, in mostly off highway service.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pind
Man Rodd, you hit it on the head.

Not enough power to pull the scum off warm rice pudding.

My buddy with his 98 dodge, towing a 26' fifth wheel, can out accelerate my 01 550... that is disgusting.

However, the ford that I am driving, outlasted the dodge track bar located front end, and even the ball joints, by 3:1. I can live with that, in mostly off highway service.
Those 450/550 do look like they have a tuff drivetrain. I can see why the ball joints would hold up better then compared to a Ram 3500.

The 05 F350 has to got to go this winter. I would really like to trade it for a F450 Harley Davidson with their new 6.7 diesel. But I know the smarter thing to do is buy a 4500 Dodge with a prov-en engine.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about Obama and his gang.
Hee hee - - Oh Stan, the Man - - you are a bad boy. You know The Messiah is wonderful - - now confess it and bow, baby.

BadBob

ps: ooopppsss, wrong place for this - - shame on me.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never had much bad to say about the F150's and Triton motors, ecxept that Ferd exagerates the laod carrying capacity and that they're turds in the HP dept compared to a 5.7 Hemi, but in the last month we've had 2 Ford gassers go down.
My F150 smoked the trans at 40k miles, complete rebuild minus tq converter required and a week earlier, another guy's F250 5.4L engine blew up at 14k miles.
I agreee they're all junk, Ferd is just the worst junk!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM

I was talking with someone not long ago that mentioned about Fords having a design flaw that made the head warp and crack.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Unless Ford has recently changed their tune, they will not allow an ambulance to be placed on a gas chassis. There were some fires some years ago that were actually caused by the re-fitters running lines too close to exhaust pipes. Supposedly Ford was sufficiently adamant that they threatened dealers licenses if they sold a gas chassis for this purpose.

We traded off the 7.3's for 6.0's against my advise and other than head, head gasket, turbo, EGR, injector failures and oil leaks, they have been pretty good. We got the ones with the bugs worked out...

I am pushing for Dodge 4500 CTD's this round.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 PM

I have noticed most ambulances around here are starting to run on freightliner and international chassis. The last Ford ambulances I have seen many of were of the 7.3 generation...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 AM

In my city they used to run International chassis, but from what the medic's have told me is that they were too expensive to maintain/repair so they too went to F550's. Yes they have had plenty of problems.

On a positive note, their support/supervisor vehicles are a Cummins powered 2500's.

Mike

Quick Reply: 100% Failure Rate?