Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

10 commandments vs muslim music

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 commandments vs muslim music

Interesting reading on the Christian/non Christian topics. Glad to see everyone can get along well. Got a question for you all. I was watching 30 days recently and it was the episode where his pal lives with a Muslim family for 30 days. From what I learned Dearborne Mi is has a area that is largely Muslim, during the 5 times daily they pray they broadcast their Muslim prayer and music from the church from loudspeakers outside. This has some local residence very annoyed any there is a law suit in place to end it.
So is it ok to make us remove the 10 commandments or other religious insinuating writings from public places that just are there not disturbing your peace, if you dont wanna see them dont look. but is it ok to make one hear the loud broadcast from the mosques several times daily? Isnt this the same pushing of religion on another so to say?
Whatcha think?
I feel the music should be stopped myself.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd tell them the same thing I tell my teenager ... "You don't have to turn it off, but you need to turn it down".

... and if either one chooses to ignore that request, POOF ... no more power supply.

PISTOL
Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Chapter President

I agree with cutting the ps on the mosque prayers and leaving the Ten Commandments alone. If these people are so bent on prayers 5 times a day, they should be dedicated enough to go to the mosque and do it quietly. I feel the same way about people coming to my door peddling everything from religion to "help me get thru college" crap.

Allowing this is just another example of the vocal minority that thinks all minorities and kook groups have the right to do anything they want to do. After all, this is a "free" country. That is unless you were born here to a family that has roots going back several generations. Generations that have formed the country to the great nation that it is, with more personal freedoms then almost any place in the world. A nation formed on personal rights for individuals, but nowhere does it say that it is OK for splinter groups of any kind to annoy the rest of us. These people are dragging us down, and unfortunately most of us have the attitude that "If we ignore them, maybe they'll go away".

As a side thought, I don't understand how some of these demonstrators, activist, etc, get the money to support themselves and their causes.

I could go on and on, but I'll turn the .
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

The area with the loudspeakers is "predominantly Muslim". Therefore not very many people are complaining about the broadcasts, and in the area the Muslims are the vocal majority. They all live in their own little area so they can have the broadcasts; you don't want to hear them, and that's why you don't have them. However, you and people like you don't live there, obviously.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Begle1
The area with the loudspeakers is "predominantly Muslim". Therefore not very many people are complaining about the broadcasts, and in the area the Muslims are the vocal majority. They all live in their own little area so they can have the broadcasts; you don't want to hear them, and that's why you don't have them. However, you and people like you don't live there, obviously.
How do you know? Do you live around a mosque? Would you move just to be sure others can have what THEY want, even if you were there first?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by crobtex
How do you know? Do you live around a mosque? Would you move just to be sure others can have what THEY want, even if you were there first?
I DO live within two blocks from a mosque, and since my area isn't "largly Muslim" like the "Little Baghdad" part of Dearborne that Apache is talking about, they don't do any broadcasts. Now if I did live in "Little Baghdad" then I probably would be Muslim along with the other 95% of the population and no, I wouldn't mind.

The arguments you're making are like complaining that they wouldn't let you enter your truck in the Amish horse pulls. All of the Muslims live in one area in order to avoid complaints regarding their broadcasts; nothing the matter with that. It's like if we all wanted to live in a community where we could straight-pipe our trucks without fear of complaints, and then some yippie moves in and complain... "Well, our town is called 'NoisyDieselVille', what'd you expect?".

Obviously not enough people in the area are compaining about the broadcasts or they wouldn't be there. You're being like a Frenchmen complaining about the picture of Moses on the US Supreme Court...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

What would you REALLY do if they did start broadcasting LOUD muslim prayers in your neighborhood and found out you didn't like it? You would probably move, instead of complain and upset those "that have their rights, too". Regardless of where it is, what about the rights of the people that lived there before the muslims? As far as them complaining, who is going to listen? Unfortunatly, most local governments are afraid to stand up against anything that might upset any minority.

Oh yea, I don't know your last name, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was french.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Well, if I don't complain then the Muslims have what they want and more power to them. But considering that the Methodist church that I used to go to can't play their electric guitars loud on Sunday morning anymore, I'm assuming that the Muslims wouldn't have their way. (I'm actually perfectly supportive and happy with regards to the politics of my little town... Stuff gets done here. Plenty of back-room deals too though...Cowhand probably knows what I'm talking about...)

A French reaction to the problem would be to leave and run away from confrontation, which is something that you seem to be advocating...

And my last name is the Bohemian word for "Rooster"... My sire grandfather's family was Bohemian, who came to America in 1870 in order to avoid draft into the Prussian army (which I believe was fighting the French at the time). My sire grandmother was a "Hermann" from the Alsace-Lorraine, which has been owned by both France and Germany over the years (but "Hermann" definitely isn't a French last name.) . My dame grandfather was half Blackfoot Indian and half gypsy, and my dame grandmother was half Polish and half Czech with a Polish last name.

My family even has a comet named after us. Live up to that one...

http://www.exploritorium.com/explori.../kohoutek.html
Old 07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Initially touted as the "Comet of the Century", it put on what was considered a disappointing display. ( so, you were named after something that was originally thought to be BIG, then fizzled out)?
"Interesting reading" in the Christian/Non Christian threads is about right!

As it goes in American, I wouldn't likely move into an urban enviroment because I don't "belong" there, (so to speak).
Just as many of the people that reside in big cities wouldn't like my 'hood much due to the limited availibity of Crack and Heroin.
We should be glad that we all have the freedom to plop a sing out in the front yard, gather our things and make a new life elsewhere!
I live near and ski in the Bohemia River, must have been some "Bohemians" there at one time or another?????
Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Chapter President

The Methodist Church is not a minority organization, and probably didn't mind granting the wishes of the community. On the other hand, the majority of muslims I have talked with, think we should let them do as they please.....after all, that's why they came to America, it's a free country, unlike where they came from. The sad part is, they understand it's a free country, but don't understand that you have to compromise to fit in without controversy.

It sounds like you have a pretty diverse heritage. I would go into mine, but they were all heathens and rednecks, and you probably wouldn't be interested.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get back to the original topic of the thread. Would I like living in a place that broadcast its prayers over loudspeakers 5 times a day? Nope sure wouldn’t. Everyone here knows that I am pretty liberal in my views. But I am liberal to a certain extent. I believe you should be able to do what you want as long as it is not infringing on another’s rights or hurting another. I am sure that there are local sound ordinances in place in Dearborne <sp>. This is America and you should be able to practice whatever religion you want to practice without prejudice. But your practices shouldn’t bleed over into someone else’s life that doesn’t believe the same way you do. Besides… if they were that devout, you would think that they could just go to the church instead of having the church come to them (so to speak).

Now that I’ve said all that. The Methodist church that is up the street from the station rings its bells every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening.

I guess I have a new crusade!

Just kidding!

Britt