Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

10 commandments for ‘working hard’

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 commandments for ‘working hard’

George Costanza's 10 commandments for ‘working hard’:

1. Never walk without a document in your hands
People with documents in their hands look like hardworking employees heading for important meetings. People with nothing in their hands look like they're heading for the cafeteria. People with a newspaper in their hand look like they're heading for the toilet. Above all, make sure you carry loads of stuff home with you at night, thus generating the false impression that you work longer hours than you do.

2. Use computers to look busy
Any time you use a computer, it looks like "work" to the casual observer. You can send and receive personal e-mail, chat and generally have a blast without doing anything remotely related to work. These aren't exactly the societal benefits that the proponents of the computer revolution would like to talk about but they're not bad either. When you get caught by your boss - and you *will* get caught -- your best defense is to claim you're teaching yourself to use new software, thus saving valuable training dollars.

3. Messy desk
Top management can get away with a clean desk. For the rest of us, it looks like we're not working hard enough. Build huge piles of documents around your workspace. To the observer, last year's work looks the same as today's work; it's volume that counts. Pile them high and wide. If you know somebody is coming to your cubicle, bury the document you'll need halfway down in an existing stack and rummage for it when he/she arrives.

4. Voice Mail
Never answer your phone if you have voice mail. People don't call you just because they want to give you something for nothing - they call because they want YOU to do work for THEM. That's no way to live. Screen all your calls through voice mail. If somebody leaves a voice mail message for you and it sounds like impending work, respond during lunch hour when you know they're not there - it looks like you're hardworking and conscientious even though you're being a devious weasel.

5. Looking Impatient and Annoyed
According to George Costanza, one should also always try to look impatient and annoyed to give your bosses the impression that you are always busy.

6. Leave the office late
Always leave the office late, especially when the boss is still around. You could read magazines and storybooks that you always wanted to read but have no time until late before leaving. Make sure you walk past the boss' room on your way out. Send important emails at unearthly hours (e.g. 9:35pm, 7:05am, etc.) and during public holidays.

7. Creative Sighing for Effect
Sigh loudly when there are many people around, giving the impression that you are under extreme pressure.

8. Stacking Strategy
It is not enough to pile lots of documents on the table. Put lots of books on the floor etc. (thick computer manuals are the best).

9. Build Vocabulary
Read up on some computer magazines and pick out all the jargon and new products. Use the phrases freely when in conversation with bosses. Remember: They don't have to understand what you say, but you sure sound impressive.

10. MOST IMPORTANT:
DON'T forward this to your boss by mistake!!! (Sorry, Got it in email!)
Old 01-10-2003, 04:31 PM

Re:10 commandments for ‘working hard’

i live by those.....
Old 01-10-2003, 07:37 PM

# 1. Is my Golden Rule. ;D<br><br>I always walk around the production floor with some sort of wrench or something in my hand. I also always have a pair of Machanic's gloves on. You would be surprised at how busy people think you are. <br><br>Oh yea, When some one asks you if you have a minute, Sigh and say &quot;yea I guess but make it quick, I got lots to do.&quot; <br><br>Boy would I ever be in trouble if someone was th catch on to that. :'(<br><br>DB
Old 01-10-2003, 07:53 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm fortunate. None of my higher up's have a clue as to what I'm doing in the Bat Cave.<br>Had one 0-6 come drifting through on a typical &quot;basking in the light of my own self importance&quot; jaunt, and asked me how everything was going. I replied that I had a real severe problem with infrared radiation emissions and that I couldn't pinpoint the problem or the source. It wasn't 15 minutes after he left that the radioactive materials response team (or whatever they are called) from the Weapons of Mass Destruction unit showed up at the shop and were in a real tizzy about the massive radioactive materials accident that occured. Talked about PO'ed when they got the real story.<br>Back to the old saying, &quot;Ignorance can be cured, Stupid is forever.&quot;<br><br>shortround out