Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Getting unstuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Getting unstuck

Four times since I have owned this truck I have been in soft mud where the bottom dropped out on one side and I ended up with the pumpkins half burried. Could not even open the passenger doors as the mud was about 4 inches over the bottom of the door. This is not that soft as one can walk on it, just so soft that the heavy DTR sinks. It is red mud like your Texas gumbo. It quickly builds up on the bottom of shoes and increases the diameter of tires to the point that they scrub.
Do any of you have any tricks for getting out of a situation like this when there are no trees or another vehicle to hook a come-along to? I keep a 4 ton come-along in the truck in the wet season, but it is useless if there is nothing to hook the other end to. Jacking the truck up to place something under the tires is a joke as the jack sinks unless I can place something very big under the jack first to increase the area a lot. It does not help the situation as every time I have got stuck, I have had a farily heavy load on the back. That 4 ton come-along is almost useless, even when I can hook to something.
Every time I have finally managed to get out, when I have got home I have removed the wheels to find that the brake disc cooling slots are completely plugged with mud. So is the steering mechanism etc. It takes a lot of spraying with a pressure washer to get the gumbo out of all the holes etc.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best advice is to not drive there.

but, if you have a come along, you may be able to use a boat anchor out in front as a connection anchor for the come along. it will pull and bite into the ground. it works well about 1/2 the time, but in the conditions you describe, it may not work.

You can also dig a hole and bury a spare tire to use as an anchor.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres a device out there called the Pull-Pal. http://www.pullpal.com/

might be just what your looking for. also heard of burying the spare tire, not sure how that would work w/ such a heavy vehicle though.

good luck
jeff
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by quantrill88
theres a device out there called the Pull-Pal. http://www.pullpal.com/

might be just what your looking for. also heard of burying the spare tire, not sure how that would work w/ such a heavy vehicle though.

good luck
jeff
not good unless you bury it deep.

I couldn't remember the name of the pull pal until just before I read your post.

I have used a boat anchor tho as I suggested...had it laying around. but the truck wasn't as heavy as a ctd either (only about 6000 lbs, but it was buried twice as deep (39" tires).
Old 10-10-2005, 05:44 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Thanks for the answers so far. I know about burying the spare tire but that is an absolute last resort. Do you have any idea what it is like to dig a hole in that stuff? Every shovelful needs to be scrapped off the shovel. There is no such thing as sticking the shovel in and then throwing the mud to one side. In any case, I am not sure how well that would work as the ground in general is quite soft, even in the middle of the road which is where I got stuck. I am not doing any offroading, just driving along this little track.
Have been stuck all too many times in the past in mud and snow, but have never been in situation where there is nothing to winch to. That Pull-Pal looks interesting, but boy, is it pricy! Will have to see if I can make my own verision for next time I get stuck.
The last time I got stuck I found out later that recently a new water pipe was buried right next to the road and it was that new soft earth that I hit and that dragged me down into the ditch. The trench had been dug at the start of the rainy season and it just got wetter and wetter so the soil never had a chance to compact. I even had mud compacted halfway up the RH coil spring. What a mess to clean out!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 PM

i was just hunting in montana. we were in gumbo. i know exactly what you are talking about. if anyone here has never been in the gumbo, it is impossible to describe. the rancher said gumbo will bring a diesel truck to a stop. (not even enough power to turn the tires!)hard to believe but it is wicked!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Been there..done that......too many times to recall
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jay05torque
i was just hunting in montana. we were in gumbo. i know exactly what you are talking about. if anyone here has never been in the gumbo, it is impossible to describe. the rancher said gumbo will bring a diesel truck to a stop. (not even enough power to turn the tires!)hard to believe but it is wicked!
If i know that it gets that bad

Dont laugh at me for this please, But i have used sno chains, i know i know in laredo it dont sno... i have used snow chains on that clay type mud and was able to get out, but i wasnt to the axles, pretty much on any 4x4 once u hit the pumpkins, ur stuck... id rather not even go there if i know that im gonna sink in that deep.... why bother? four times? heck id get me a toyota to go to that place and avoid this conundrum as much as possible...

Tx
Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Do any of you have any tricks for getting out of a situation like this when there are no trees or another vehicle to hook a come-along to?
Cat 955D. Got 'stuck' in snow once. Worked perfect.

Another time I got stuck in some mud. 78 3/4 chev gasser with a 12k pound winch and he kept sliding towards me without moving me. Tryed blocking the his tires, didn't work. Ended up with long slings and chains to anchor him to a couple of other trucks on firmer ground.

Way to much fun.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 PM

a good sized case dozer will do it every time.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

I used to carry some 2' peices of military landing mat with me when you get stuck just dig out in front of the tire enough to get them started under there. Once you get em started the wheels will pull them under and drive up them. Last time I used them though they were burried so deep in the mud I never did find em again, that was getting my little Massey tractor out.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Drew03-

Don't tell me you are one of those people trying to wheel in the Turkey Mountian area...
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Drew03-

Don't tell me you are one of those people trying to wheel in the Turkey Mountian area...
no.........hell no that pic is near pretty water. Take HWY 97 south from sand springs then go west on 71st till the road turns north. then go till you see the big power lines.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned

I ride mountian bikes... and there are a few morons that think they can go four wheeling over there... the trails are nowhere near wide enough most places... but some still try.

My folks live just north of Sahoma, I have wheeled a lot around those two little lakes...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99 cummins
I used to carry some 2' peices of military landing mat with me when you get stuck just dig out in front of the tire enough to get them started under there. Once you get em started the wheels will pull them under and drive up them. Last time I used them though they were burried so deep in the mud I never did find em again, that was getting my little Massey tractor out.
Floor mats work as well, just don't put em back on the floor board after you get out. I have jammed all kinds of stuff under my tires in mud. Small branches/big sticks wok as well

I also ALWAYS carry an entrenching tool in my truck, nice for cleaning out under the pumpkins.

Quick Reply: Getting unstuck