Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

North Texas DTR#8 May GTG

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North Texas DTR#8 May GTG

It looks like the May GTG will be at the Ardmore Raceway on the weekend of May 19th. We will camp out at the track on Friday night and probably go back to Sadelia sometime Saturday.

I've been to the track one time with Rowland, and it's a pretty neat place. They have a good snack bar, so Dan won't have to worry too much about our diet that weekend.

More to come............
Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tagged.........

It is a cool track....and its 1/4 mile........lacking the hustle and bussle of all the big city tracks......
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Chapter President

From Rowland:

Just got a call from Johnny Laird.. owner of Ardmore Raceway.

-They have fun races Friday night from 6-10 pm. Open to all. Gates open at 5 pm

-Saturday is for racers only. (They don't like to contaminate track with street tires before the Bracket Race Series starts). It's nothing like NHRA, but they do get some hot cars there from Dallas, OKC, etc.

-Indoor facilities !!!!!!

-They have a pond and two camper pads, with electricity, down past the race track.

-Johnny said no problem with a camp fire... and they keep the gates open all night so all can come & go anytime.

-They are racing Saturday only, and will be closing the place up after Saturdays event is over. So we need to head back to Sedalia or somewhere??

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM

We need to move this over here:

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Don't forget the all-night thrash getting the twins trucks ready for the dyno, Brian blowing a boot at 64psi/115mph, a guided tour of the Farmersville Tool Shed & Gun Emporium... and of course all of the interesting things Charlie told us about women!

Man I don't care who you ask blowing a boot is always scary!!! My second time now with twins and it still scared the poo out of me! Was a fun run though .....

Can't believe Tyler had to drop into 4 low to pull that little ity bitty tractor Autos... j/k Tyler!!

Well now that I am so confused about my Dyno runs water/meth Smarty TST settings I think I need to hook up the wires for my water/meth injection light and my low fluid level!!
So 2nd gen wise am I the only one who dynos better with a higher Smarty number to get things moving?? I know I'm not the only one to lose power on TST 9... What about water/meth... Seems I'm the first person I know in the diesel world to not gain anything injecting and maybe even losing power with water as my highest run may or may not of had any water/meth in the tank???
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Brian I didn't gain any power from the spray on my last run either.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bnold
....So 2nd gen wise am I the only one who dynos better with a higher Smarty number to get things moving?? I know I'm not the only one to lose power on TST 9... What about water/meth... Seems I'm the first person I know in the diesel world to not gain anything injecting
I don't know about dynoing, but I get better 1/4 times with Smarty on #3 (spools quicker... and still gets to max "Smart-Power"). Also got best ET with TST on #7... but thought that was due to test on 265/75/17's??

In past I have always saved H2O/Meth and #9 for last pull on the dyno....and always gained HP??
This weekend I had H2O/Meth on for all three and went 5,7,9 on TST Comp. #7 was highers # by 20 hp? AND my #'s were down from previous Dynojet run so.........????

I repeat my theory.... Dynos are for relative changes in set up and not for absolute power readout; only the ET at the track will tell you what setup is stronger and faster.

RJ
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM

RJ- Moved response to new thread!

I agree Smarty #3 is quicker on the street. Smarty #9 on the street is too much fuel to fast, bogs the engine... All of this at WOT of course...
Smarty on say #7 on the street always feels peppier unless going WOT and then too much fuel is pushed to early... Make any sense or I am confusing people??

I guess for me Smarty on #9 on the dyno gives the extra fuel needed to spool the twins when there is no load on the engine. Hence only 55psi on the dyno vs. 65psi on the street...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Two other things.

-Will bring those 17" wheels/tires to Ardmore for anyone to try.
-Big Blue - Found out the 'Spring Centering Bolt' sits in an oversized hole and can jiggle when pressure is
off axle U-Bolts. But if it's broken, it will pull up & out, so don't think mine is broken. Opinion??

RJ
Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bnold
...I guess for me Smarty on #9 on the dyno gives the extra fuel needed to spool the twins when there is no load on the engine. Hence only 55psi on the dyno vs. 65psi on the street...
Very possible.

Here is a good read I bookmarked from Dave Dunbar... the Dyno Guru of CTD's!.....

"WHY TWINS LOSE TQ on DYNO…& BIG SINGLES DON'T MAKE FULL BOOST on DYNOS......By Dave Dunbar
Torque is largely response and turbo sizing. HX35 may make 430hp and 1030tq and if you swap a HX40 in it's place you may see 470hp and 980tq. The reason is it takes more air to spool the larger charger and the only way you get that air is to make RPM. More rpm in many cases will yeild a lower tq number because peak power and peak tq is made higher in the rpm band which mathmatically will results in a lower tq to hp ratio.

Twins will spool slightly slower than the smallest of the chargers if it were a single. Reason is the small turbo has to draw through the larger one until pressure becomes positive.

Everyone loses sleep over the boost issue. Boost is not always HP. As a matter of fact, more boost can cost you hp. When you are on the street, you have a lot of time to generate turbine speed and heat. Heat is "big" air which you will then see as boost at the intake horn. This is also a possible reason why some see less boost on a dyno jet.

My twins are a set of old school HX35 and HT3B. With my 35 as a single I saw a best dyno run of 431hp and 1030 tq. It was super hot, and smokey as all get out. I was out of air. With these twins, I see 460's and 1040's. Difference is temps are much cooler and smoke is gone at full power. And I had to pull fuel away for this 460's when I had max fuel for the 430 with single."

RJ
Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RowJ
Two other things.

-Will bring those 17" wheels/tires to Ardmore for anyone to try.
-Big Blue - Found out the 'Spring Centering Bolt' sits in an oversized hole and can jiggle when pressure is
off axle U-Bolts. But if it's broken, it will pull up & out, so don't think mine is broken. Opinion??

RJ
I dunno. Mine don't jiggle when there is no pressure on them. They also shouldn't jiggle that much. Maybe they are just loose but mine don't jiggle like that. Also a possibility that the bolt is broke half way down. Had that happen to me.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM

So are we going to be running at the track Fri. or Sat? Looks like they only let drag tires on the track on Sat?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 AM

We can only run Friday...Sat is for watching. You could sign up for the Bracket series and race Saturday, if interested?? We'll supply a heck of a cheering section. [D]

RJ
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM

I don't have the tires for that.
Speaking of me running. My Chev is ugly, very, very ugly. I got hurt before I could finish the body work and get it primed. But, it will run. Or at least it better run

350 bored .030 over, Lunati cam, Edelbrock performer intake and carb, 2.02 double hump 64cc vette heads, stainless valves, triple springs, roller rockers, dual exhaust with crossover tube, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers dumped at the axle, built Th350 and 3.73 rear.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by fade94
I don't have the tires for that.
It's interesting. I never noticed if all the racers that show up friday nite run ONLY slicks?? Must be...cause Johnny said they don't like to change the track conditions during the racing by allowing street tires on the track before the race series is over.
I don't really see what the difference is, but must be something??

RJ
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

I think the restriction is on Sat only. Friday should be cool for just blasting down the track.

Quick Reply: North Texas DTR#8 May GTG