Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

Diesel Drags at IRP - Indiana & Surrounding members

Old 04-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Drags at IRP - Indiana & Surrounding members

Some of you may or may not be familiar with this event. It's on Friday April 20th, 2nd Annual Jeramy Schmitt Memorial Night. He was a local HS football player who died suddenly. The proceeds from the night go towards a scholarship fund. Last year there were a ton of diesels there.

$8 Spectators
$15 to race
Run what ya brung
Helmets req'd for 13.99 and lower (rule change effective this year)
Gates open at 4:30, racing begins at 5:30

The rain date is a week later, Friday April 27th.

Hope to see you guys there!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

I have heard a ton of good stuff about this race, plus its for a good cause! I should be able to make it, might race my high mileage blazer.

they bringing Jeramy's old truck? The white p-pumped one?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bosshawg600
I have heard a ton of good stuff about this race, plus its for a good cause! I should be able to make it, might race my high mileage blazer.

they bringing Jeramy's old truck? The white p-pumped one?
That's awesome, hope to meet you man. Too bad you won't have the Red Rocker (that I wanted to buy, lol)

As for Jeramy's old truck, I talked to his younger brother Josh last night and he said that it will be there. He told me that "they dropped it and put slicks on it, should be running 10's." I can't wait to see that!! I remember when I first met Jeramy and it was still running 15's.
Josh's truck is no slouch either, he's running mid to high 13's in it.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 AM

bump bump!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Banned

Ya I saw it at World of wheels, slicks all around! I realy want to see the sucker run!

And ya the Rocker is gone, totally sucks! I miss that truck, now I got to look for a new one and hope to not go through the crap I did with the other one. Ill make some phone calls to some of my muscle car buddies and I bet they cant wait to get their cars out and run them after the winter slumber!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Sweet deal, I haven't seen it since it ran last year at this event. I can't wait!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 PM

This event is tomorrow night guys! I hope to see you there!!! Weather will be perfect!

Rules are below. Don't let any rules scare you off. Show up with your helmet if you're quick and you'll be fine.

How Much?
To race your vehicle is $15.00 per driver. Spectator’s admission is $8.00, and children 12 & under is FREE.

How To Race?
Pass Basic NHRA Inspection Rules per the current Year Rulebook. (Cars 14.00 seconds or slower) NHRA 2007 RULEBOOK is on sale in the main office.

THE RACE DIRECTOR’S DECISION IS FINAL!

The following are requirements for street legal vehicles:
1. The vehicle must be STREET LEGAL, which means registered, insured, and drivable on the street.
2. NO RACE CARS!!
3. Shorts are NOT PERMITTED when racing and a shirt with sleeves is required to race.
4. Seat belts must be properly mounted.
5. All windows must be present and in good shape and rolled up fully when racing. (no cracks)
6. All automatic transmissions must have operational neutral safety switches.
7. Doors handles operational inside & out.
8. Battery cannot be in driver’s compartment and the battery must have 3/8 bolts to hold it in place.
9. Batteries that are relocated in the trunk must have external cut off switch to the rear of the vehicle labeled "CUT OFF."
10. Radiator must have proper overflow catch tank.
11. Tires must be in good condition.
12. Carburetor must be covered: if there is no hood, live fan must be removed but an electric fan is OK.
13. Carburetor must have “two” return springs installed.
14. Rear seat must be installed or sheet metal covering or trunk bulkhead must be installed.
15. Convertibles must run with top up and driver MUST have a SNELL 2000 or newer approved helmet.
16. All vehicles must have at least one working taillight.
17. All hubcaps and trim rings must be removed.
18. All drivers running vehicles 13.99 or quicker must have a SNELL 2000 or newer approved helmet.
19. Slicks are allowed as long as they are DOT approved.
20. NO PASSENGERS ARE PERMITTED!

The following are requirements for street legal motorcycles:
1. The motorcycle must be STREET LEGAL, which means registered, insured, and drivable on the street
2. NO RACE BIKES!!.
3. Drivers must have a SNELL M-95 or newer approved helmet with a full-face shield.
4. Motorcycle must have a kill switch with lanyard if 11.99 or quicker.
5. Driver must have leather jacket.
6. Driver must have leather pants if 120mph or faster.
7. Driver must wear full finger leather gloves.
8. Driver must have leather high top shoes or boots.
9. Motorcycle must have a chain guard.
10. Motorcycle must have working taillight.
11. Motorcycle throttle must spring return.
12. Nitrous oxide is allowed, if securely mounted-DOT regulated.
13. Slicks are allowed as long as they are DOT approved.
14. No three-or four-wheelers of any kind.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I attended this event with another DTR Member, namely, Mike Dolan, who goes by "Mike D." here.

This was my first time to this event and must say we had a very good time!
I got to see Tim again although he had some very early engine problems on his first pass with his white "Rocket" and blew the headgasket! Tim, it was great to see you, your wife and family again! Sorry about your truck!

I would estimate there were nearly 200 vehicles at this event and I only made three passes in my 1996 Dodge CTD. I want to thank the people that organize this event and to the track officials at IRP for a GREAT race surface!
I had never run my trucks at IRP before and have to say it was one of the best if no the best 1/4 mile track surface I have ever drag raced on!

My thanks also to my sponsors and engine builders, Scheid Diesel, for having so many of your personnel there to see me drag race! I am glad you guys finally got to see my Red Ram run.

Looking forward to next year!

--------
John_P
Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM

John, thanks for coming out man I was hoping that I could get at least a couple from each forum I posted on about this event. I too felt bad for Tim's truck. I had to go find Josh and find out why I had only seen it run the first time then he told me they lifted the head.....ack! I got a few snapshots of the secrets under the hood and in the cab. Wow, what a truck!

Anyway, John was it your truck that was running low 12's high 11s? I was goofing off doing something and my g/f told me a dodge had just run an 11.8, and I think that's the only pass of the night for a diesel that I missed out on filming!! Grrr!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

03qclb5spd:

You are very welcome buddy!! I can tell you that if my work schedule allows it, I will be at this event every year!

To answer your question, yes it was my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve that was running the 11's! I think my best pass was 11.82 @ 117 MPH. I had some minor problems with my transfer case at the "Mopar Nationals" in Rockingham, N.C. the prior week, got it fixed, but was still worried about possibly breaking something after seeing what happened to Tim. My Son John Jr. (banshee) piloted my truck at the MATR event to an 11.52 @ 118.4 MPH. Here is a video link for you to see from that event:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f8U5TGahmqc

But, being about 900 miles from home there at Indy, I wanted to be "conservative" but still put on a good show for all you guys and the spectators there.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words and hope to see you guys again soon!

-------
John_P
Old 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Awesome! John if I had known that was you I would have tried to find you and meet you in person. I wish I would have been around for you 11.82 pass, my girlfriend was rather pleased she got to see it, lol! As for next year, i'll be sure that to post a thread on it as soon as I can get Josh to let me know.

So if you ever sell that beast how much you talkin? LOL!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Adam:

Thanks for your kind words!

I was parked right next to Tim's truck. You may have been standing there and not even known that the Flame Red 1996 Dodge CTD 12 Valve, Ext.Cab,
Long Bed, 4X4 was mine! Sorry about that! The truck has Scheid Diesel and ATS Diesel Stcikers on the side glass (both sides) just behind the doors.

Anyway, I will be going to "Thunder at Indy" as well as the Scheid Rally, so maybe we can meet there!

-------
John_P
Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM

I would like to personally thank each one of you who came to my sons memorial race! Especially John P and Mike D who traveled 900 miles from home to raise money for someone they had never met and john had only met me once last fall at the scheid show. There are still wonderful people in the world and I'm proud to say I know alot of them. I also want to thank Nick and Mike at NKP and Dan, JP and Gary from Scheid and my two boys Jeramy (RIP) and Joshua, who are the best sons a father could have ask for! Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
Adam:

Thanks for your kind words!

I was parked right next to Tim's truck. You may have been standing there and not even known that the Flame Red 1996 Dodge CTD 12 Valve, Ext.Cab,
Long Bed, 4X4 was mine! Sorry about that! The truck has Scheid Diesel and ATS Diesel Stcikers on the side glass (both sides) just behind the doors.

Anyway, I will be going to "Thunder at Indy" as well as the Scheid Rally, so maybe we can meet there!

-------
John_P
John, thats awesome! I will be at IRP/ORP for sure, hopefully with enough goodies to lay down some much better #'s on the rollers. I may even participate in drag racing. That's still a bit more than a month off though. I'm sure that we could organize a DTR meet during one of the days there, you think?
Originally Posted by big schmitty
I would like to personally thank each one of you who came to my sons memorial race! Especially John P and Mike D who traveled 900 miles from home to raise money for someone they had never met and john had only met me once last fall at the scheid show. There are still wonderful people in the world and I'm proud to say I know alot of them. I also want to thank Nick and Mike at NKP and Dan, JP and Gary from Scheid and my two boys Jeramy (RIP) and Joshua, who are the best sons a father could have ask for! Thanks again everyone!!!
Tim I was glad to have been there. I've always told people that Jeramy stood out to me vs many other Cummins owners. I had a 7.3 ford at the time when I met him. He was quick to give me all kinds of information that I didn't know existed as how I could get more power out of my truck, what would get me good 1/4 times and such. I always liked watching his truck run at the track, with that simple yet so cool and unique flame paint job it just looked so cool going down the quarter. I cannot wait to see it again!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by big schmitty
-----------
Tim:

You are very welcome buddy! I am glad we were able to make it to support such a great cause, namely, a Memorial Race for Jeramy! It was obvious that alot of the people in attendance felt the same way too! What a great turnout it was. Sorry about your truck though! I know that if it had run I doubt I would have had anything for you! You need to get that thing into the "Pro-Street" Class! I was hoping you and I could have "lined up" to give the crowd a good show, but there is always next year.

It was great to see you, your wife and family again and I look forward to seeing you at some more of the events this spring/summer! Good luck with your truck buddy!

-------
John_P