MDDTR #33 Forum for the Maryland chapter #33

Misfiring, Smoke and Oil Leaks- Bad Times....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring, Smoke and Oil Leaks- Bad Times....

On my way to PA for the honeymoon I get about half way there and the exhaust sounded funny on aceleration...enough that the wife noticed(not good). Pulled over and noticed at idle it was smoking from the stacks pretty good. Checked the oil and it was on the lower safe line and smelled ok. I figured a Injector was going at this time. Got another 15miles up the road and the smoke was enough to flood the road out behind me. Like Low Boost Smoke on the Hot Juice Level! I pull in a parking lot and she was misfiring horribly and shut off on me. After a few cranks She fired back up, misfiring BAD. I decide to make a run for the last 5 miles to our hotel. After the longest 5 miles EVER, We get there, I shut her down and jump out, and I had oil pouring from the front of the engine, popped the hood and the fan sprayed it all over the engine compartment and the entire undercarriage of the truck. I'd say I had 2qt on the ground and proably lost 1qt coming down the road. She I had her towed home....

Between My buddy and I, We beleive the oil came from the crank case breather and hit the fan and made a mess. We can't figure out why the oil came out. The oil was higher on the stick then 20miles earlier, but mabye only 1 qt. But then again I did lose some on the highway and in the parking lot. We started the truck and begain to crack open lines going to the injectors and all was fine until we hit #3 Cylinder. The other would stumble the engine and it would fall on its face. #3 didn't do a thing, no change. So we are we are pretty sure the Injector is Gone.

My question to yall is......Are we on the right path? Anyone else had a issue like this? Or Could there be another problem?

Thanks guys for your time!
Rick
Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 PM

youre goin in the right direction with the injector test for the smoke but what throws me off is the pressure in the crankcase which blows oil up your breather... most of the time a bad injector wont directly cause this. sounds like your rings are bad in the 3rd cylinder which lets the pressure escape to the crankcase. were your EGT's high when you first noticed symptoms of something being wrong? (if they wernt is your EGT probe on that side of the manifold?) could have ran that cylinder rich and hot which would lead to ring failure or scratching the cylinder wall. im no expert on your truck... too many valves for me, but thats what a little engineering background can provide for now. good luck on getting things figured out.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

First of all, does the oil smell like diesel fuel??? If the injector has gone bad you would really notice the oil getting WAY high on the dipstick if it was filling with fuel, but you can smell it for sure.

Check the coolant...any oil in it?

You have an 01, you didnt mention a check engine light, but still do the key on-off 3 times trick and see if any codes pop up in the odometer window.

what color smoke? usually a bad injector or otherwise some reason for the misfiring etc will cause white smoke from the excessive unburnt fuel.

Take the oil fill cap off and start the truck, put your hand over it and see how much pressure is coming out, if you can feel alot, then the crankcase is being pressurized big time.

It could be an injector, could be a bad o-ring in the fuel delivery system that is leaking fuel into the cylinder, could be a headgasket leaking oil/coolant into the cylinder causing the smoke, and allowing pressure to escape and blow oil out the breather.

i would start by pulling and inspecting all the injectors first, then going from there. i'd be glad to come down a lend a hand and finding the problem.

TJ
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Now that I have gotten Home from Work and calmed down....You know the whole ruin your honeymoon weekend bit.....

I looked over the truck tonight. Hooked up the Scanner, No Codes. Checked the Antifreeze, Pretty Green and its all there. Its definitly white smoke. I checked the oil level again, and it may have ran now 10mins since that incident that night when my buddy was over looking it. The oil level is DEFINTILY Higher and smells like diesel. So I've come to the conclusion that I must have a bad injector. The oil leaking out had to be coming from the fuel mixxing in. So I'll going to order a new set of injectors tonight, unless someone has a cheap set local(not stock time to upgrade).

TJ, I'll definitly could use a hand. I've never been into the 24v's yet....I've got a Service Truck with most of the tools We should need unless its something special. I'll shoot ya a PM once I get some parts in!

Thanks guys!

Rick
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll lend a hand if I am free, let me know.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 PM

sounds like an injector. let me know i'll lend a hand as well! we should have injectors swapped out in about a hour.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM

I am right down the road, let me know if you need anything.......
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for all the help! I'll proably end up taking yall up on your offers!

I ordered some injectors tonight so hopefully I'll see them before this weekend.

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

I should be home this weekend (if the bay ever calms down from this wind). im always glad to learn and give a helping hand. more valves than what i have but same principle.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just curious why everybody says injectors? It's a VP truck not a CR with electronic injectors that stick open. Could be a cross over tube or oring on the injector or missing copper washer on the injector. What would cause the excessive blow by other than bad rings?
Might wanna post this in the Help section to get some more ideas.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 PM

scott, I'm way more convinced on the injector leaking. After the truck sat for a couple days and the oil fuel settled, I definitly smelled fuel. as far as a o-ring...it could go bad, might have cracked the injector....who knows til I tear it apart.....Either way, the wife knows the truck is broke, why not upgrade too

Rick
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM

I just got a email from UPS saying my injectors will be here tomorrow...But the next warm decent day will be Saturday.....Let me know who is avaible saturday morning, I could use the help!

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 PM

I dont have any plans for Saturday morning. Pm me directions and I can be there.
I have done my injectors and helped with others, so I have a little experience in the arena.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Banned

busy saturday. good luck with it
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am busy Saturday til 3pm at least, let me know if you need a hand after that.

Quick Reply: Misfiring, Smoke and Oil Leaks- Bad Times....