Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Thinking about a diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody, I've been contemplating lately about buying a diesel truck. I'll try not to make this long and boring and hopefully this is an appropriate place to post this but here goes. I had a 1500 ram 4.7 for about two years and loved it. Never needed a truck really (other than 4x4 in the Va winters) but loved having a 4 door truck because it was comfortable with plenty of room, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs. So I got rid of the ram last year because I now live at the beach and didn't need 4x4 and wanted better mpg, no have an 07 honda 5 speed. Well I have about 200 acres of land back in Va that is in the process of being sold and I'll be using that to make a good down payment on a house and buying a new vehicle. Have drooled over the new camaro's for a while but my girlfriend of 7 years now and I are going to be getting a house together and getting married soon. Will be starting a family in the next few years so she wants me to get a four door truck ( not complaining ) I'm just stuck on the fence of gas vs diesel. Sounds bad but I most likely won't tow much if any so won't use a diesel for what it's worth. I will however use it off-road ( beached driving and camping) so Is it stupid to get a diesel just because I want it?? I'm a general mechanic ( mostly oil changes, tires, brakes, suspension work and light motor work) and work for a garage since I graduated college. I worked in garages while I was in college and am working on getting ASE Certified as a full technician but will admit I don't know much about diesels. What do u guys think?? I know most of you will say " it's your money get what makes you happy" I've been on plenty of forums when I had my wrangler and my ram but it's worth a shot! Lol thanks for reading and I'll be lurking around this site for awhile reading up and learning.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM

26 views, hmm
Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM

It really depends on how much driving you will be doing. I commute to work and put miles on my truck and also pull a fiver so a diesel was my best choice. I tend to keep my trucks for over ten years, I still own my first highboy so I wanted something I could put 300k on and not worry about having to buy a new engine. My previous truck was a 2000 4wd f150 and was better on the beach and snow, this truck is so heavy it tends to get stuck in easy crap that was other one would just push thru in 2wd. These are not grocery getters and are meant to be driven. Parts and service are more expensive, and so is maintenance. I love having the truck I own and would not go back to anything else, but if I lived closer to work, was driving in the sand all the time or not pulling; a gasser would be my choice. I loved the comfort of my old f150, and my dad loved it so much he is currently driving it. 100k and going strong, but was a super cab and I needed more room for the growing kids. It also depends if you are buying used or new, if I was buying a gasser I would go new, diesel I am ok with used after checking the usual crap and wear. Do a search on here and you will find what to look for. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM

I love my truck.
But if I wanted a truck but didn't need to tow or haul super heavy loads, I'd get a half-ton. Way more comfy to live with IMHO.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM

True, my commute to work is exactly 7 miles one way, hell the ocean is only 9 miles so my daily commute is short but I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. Every time we go some there we always take mine. Had my dodge for about 2 years and put almost 40k on it. Whyyyy did I get rid of it?..**** near 160k and never touched the tranny or major motor work
Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Justen on a side note that 1911 in your picture is beautiful, just got my hands on a combat government model colt 45
Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Cummins because I wanted it. If people don't like it, tough.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't overlook that two or three truck manufactures are coming out with diesel half tons and light duty trucks soon... best of both worlds.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Shorts I like your attitude lol and madhat good point. I'm excited to hear more about the Titan cummins, always like the titans but know too many people have problems out of the nissan v8. And I just realized today that ram has the 14 1500 v6 Ecodiesel
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onlooker
Justen on a side note that 1911 in your picture is beautiful, just got my hands on a combat government model colt 45
Thank you and great choice. Nothing better than a 1911 IMO. My buddy is a gunsmith so after I bought it we went thru it inch by inch. I put on some crimson grips so it looks a little different than that, but looked like that new. As well as other must haves. I loved the Kimber I had before it but it kept catching and was tired of taking it in. My springfield has been flawless. I love taking guns.
Back on track:
The new 1500 diesels look sharp, that may be the way to go since you put on the miles.
If you need anything else pm me buddy, I will get back to you. Dudes on here are very smart and I love this site over others.