Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Saying whats up from Alaska!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying whats up from Alaska!

Hey all.

Just moved to Alaska. Sold all my vehicles and bought an 03 2500. I love this truck. I've always had Rangers, and its nice to finally be able to afford a full size. Right now the truck has 75xxx miles, and has 315s BFG ATs. Not sure if it has been re-geared yet. And I'm also not sure if it is the SO or HO motor in it. The truck is from Canada originally and its an Automatic. Any ideas? Its pouring outside and i'm at work, so i probably won't be able to check until when I get off. Where on the motor do I look to check?

Anywase. Its my first diesel. I come from a background of building/working on dezert prerunners (you know.. like baja racing) when I lived in Socal, and a good amount of other toys... dirtbikes, quads, supermoto, streetbikes... etc... excited to find a place with a garage and start wrenching on this thing and learning more from you guys!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Welcome to the site. Not sure where to find what you're looking for on the truck but I'm sure someone will chime in pretty soon (I had an '02 but am now truckless......but I still can't get enough of this site!!) Take care and enjoy Alaska and the Diesel!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Welcome to the site. This is great place to learn information about your truck. I read on here almost every day. To tell if your truck is a HO or SO, look on the valve cover on the drivers side-it should have a horsepower rating. The SO will say 235 or 250 and the HO will say 305.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Welcome to DTR. Well let's see, with the 315s on your truck, your speedo and hence your odometer may not be calibrated. Overall, probably about a 8-10% error in how fast you are actually going (ie, speedo show 65, your actually goin 72). The 315 BFGs are only D rated, a little softer sidewall. If you pull heavy, I'd be a little more careful. If the truck is from Canada, it may pose a few issues if you are registering it in Alaska. Alaska requires it goes through a "referee" in order to be registered. For the SO or HO, I think you need to look on the side of the motor for the HP tag. HO is 305/555 and the SO is 250/460. OK, so where in Alaska are you? Lived in Anchorage but flew all over the place up there. Was awesome country up there!!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Right on guys. I actually bought the truck here in Alaska, so its been registered here for a while. No issue with that. I think its the SO motor cause I was flipping through the manual and the previous owner had circled the horsepower rating (245?). I don't mind that. I'm not going to be doing a lot of pulling anytime soon, but eventually i'll get a fishing boat so I can indulge myself in the great fishing around this area.

For now I'm going to head up to the diesel shop and see if I can get some prices for intake and turboback exhaust. Try and de-cork this beast a little.

And yes, I'm in Anchorage. Its a nice place. Going to work my gut off finally with all the activities todo around here. I'll be flying up to the north slope during the winters manage my company's construction up on the ice. Should be fun!

Thanks for the help guys.