HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Wrecked my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked my truck

First off I'm looking for a little advice on how to make sure the thing is repaired correctly. I t-boned a van and the front bumper was pushed back wrinkling the hood and both fenders. Passenger side door wont open, I can see pink (coolant I suspect) fluid splashed around in several areas but it's not dripping or overheating. The fan has one broken blade and sounds like it is rubbing somewhere. I did notice some kind of cable or wire in front of the fan out of place, looks like it snagged the fan. The steering wheel is off center now but it feels like it drives straight (didn't go over 40). Various plastic broken up front, bug shield went flying, lower most plastic under bumper, headlights and markers cracked, plastic where foglights go.

The accident wasn't my fault and my Insurance is Allstate. They allow me to either choose where I want to take it or they recommend a "pro" shop as they called it. I had to drive it to work because I was on my way in and intend to drop it off somewhere and pick up a rental on the way home. I am wondering if I would be better off using a Dodge dealer (if they even do body work) or a well known body shop. Do I even have a right to demand all new parts and not used or straightened and repainted?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. The truck is only 3 months old and needless to say I'm quite upset. The driver of the van was running from the police and hit two police cars before running the red light where I slammed her. When I hit her it knocked her van over rolling it about 3 times before it stopped up against a light pole. And get this! She actually pushed her way out between the broken windshield and the frame (the van was laying on the passenger side) and took off running down the street. Since the cops were already chasing her they caught her easily. Cops said she was high on crack or something.

My truck is an '03 3500 SRW 4X4 quad cab automatic standard output diesel. Thanks
Old 10-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Wrecked my truck

Man!
Sorry about your truck Scott. At least you weren't hurt. I would think that there is no reason why it can't be fixed with all new parts, especially it being a brand new truck. I think I would check around to find who is the best body shop. I know that some dealerships contract their bodywork out. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as they are using a reputable shop that does quality work and stands behind it.
I'm sure that other folks may be able to give you more information or advice. I've been lucky and never had to go through something like that.
Good luck and I hope you get it fixed without a bunch of hassle. Keep us informed.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:31 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you get it done at a dealer, interview the body man and see how long he's been around. One around here I know of does their own body work. They treat their employees like crap and have a high turnover.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:57 AM

allstate is usually pretty good if you useone of there pro shops they will garantee the repair for as long as you own the truck. I would only use replacement Mopar parts and you can shop body shops like you do car dealers
Old 10-25-2003, 09:04 AM

Pay close attention to frame alignment and suspension!!
Might not be a bad idea to spend the 30-50 bucks after the truck is returned to you to take it into a frame shop to have ALL of the alignment and frame checked out. If there is a problem, then have your insurance pay to correct it.

Had a car accident years ago, great body work, drove OK, then 6 months later I noticed some severe and really strange front tire wear. Frame was racked and alignment was changed by the "technician" to compensate (instead of correcting the frame problem). Of course, since time had lapsed, insurance company would not do a thing. Just a heads up. Kevin
Old 10-25-2003, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad news. You absolutley have the right to insist on BRAND NEW FACTORY PARTS. Your truck is only a few months old and it was perfect before the accident. The insurance companies like to play games like it wasn't a new truck so we will fix it with used parts, you shouldn't have a problem being your truck was new but just keep watch on how they write up the claim. I would do some research and find a body shop with a good reputation. I would also make sure that an alignment is part of the repair whether it needs it or not. Also remeber the lady running from the cops and the cops are both at fault so if her insurance dosen't cover it go after the cops they too are liable. Best of luck hope your back on the road soon.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, glad to hear your ok! Second sorry about the truck. If you are unsure of the body shop's in your area I would let Allstate find you a pro shop. I have Allstate and they have been great to deal with for the past 19yrs. Their clause on repair is it's 100% warrenty for LIFE! You can't go wrong with that! Good Luck! 8)
Old 10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hey, if you're going to hit someone, it might as well be one of the "bad guys".

Personally, I'd stay away from the Dodge dealer, as body work isn't all they do.

I'd find a good body shop and let Allstate find you one of their "pro shops" that they have had good luck with, then take it to both places and get estimates and check out their work.
Ask around for reccomended shops, word of mouth is better advertising than the full page ad in the yellow pages.

Good luck, hope they get it fixed right.

phox
Old 10-25-2003, 07:09 PM
RCW

Selecting a good auto body shop is very important. I would recommend you try this website and see if they have any affiliations or recommendations in your area: http://www.leifs.com/

Lief's is one of the few in our area that provide as good as new work, and then guarantee it to boot.

My measure is how badly the insurance agent sweats! They usually recommend firms that give discounts, and those are the last ones I want.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:29 PM

The worst body repair that I ever received was at a Ford dealer on a brand new Ford. Those pro shops have to be good or there would be constant law suits. I would not recommend a dealer repair. Past experience tells me this though, keep up with what they are doing regardless of where, look at it before paint to see what they put on it. I had to make a body shop remove a damaged hood on a new Eclipse of my son's, they charged for new and were fixing a used part.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:47 PM

Wow! Thanks for so much good information. So many well-informed people here make this site what it is.

I checked it in at one of the Allstate recommended pro shops this morning, but no one will be able to do anything with it until Monday, so I really have until then to make a decision. I have dealt with this particular shop once before when someone backed into my wifes car and was really pleased with their work, even though the damage was a lot less extensive than my truck.

My main concern is getting everything replaced OEM new and making the truck as good as it was before. This shop is right on my way to work so I can stop in easily to monitor the work. I will have to work with them and the insurance companies to make sure it is repaired to my satisfaction. It sounds like the pro shop is the way to go.

The owner of the van I hit actually showed up on the scene of the accident and presented insurance info to the police but I'm still holding my breath until I'm sure it's valid. Cumminsbill, that was a great point about the police being responsible for chasing her. I know it sounds crappy to go after them, but I do believe the Baltimore police have a no chase policy. But then again they could probably say they weren't chasing her but just following her, who knows.

So now I'm driving a Chevy Malibu. Geez talk about a step down. Monday I plan to verify the other guys insurance and get them to cover the cost for a pickup truck or van. Allstate will only pay $20 a day and a truck is $38 a day. :-

Thanks again for all the info guys.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:20 PM

Like everyone else, I'm glad you're OK, and sorry to hear about your truck. The laws vary from state to state, but if the guys insurance co. will pay for your truck, I'd press them for a rental (truck) and let them worry about. Down here, the only way they could make my insurance pay for it, is if I was in some way responsible for her getting the van (leave the keys in switch) or some other stupid reason. My brother had a car stolen a few years back, the guy ran from the cops, left the north bound side of I-59, took out 2 cars, and then smashed into a bridge, all his insurance had to pay was to replace his car. just m2cw