HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

wont shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont shift out of first

I have a 99 3500 2wd auto. This morning I went to start my truck turned the key powered up but no crank. Ended up putting truck in neutral and it cranked moved truck around property parked it several times shut it off several times started just fine in park. Went to leave and now truck won't shift out of first gear. After doing some research I concluded it was the OSS (output speed sensor) went to town and put a new one in. Didn't change anything. Still starting fine but no shift. So I go back to town and get a new stop/neutral safety switch. Replace that and now truck will not start at all. Have power but no crank. I put the old one back in and again starts fine. But still no shift. I tried hooking up to a scanner and the scanner could not get connection with the computer. So I tried the on off on off on and it does not work. I get nothing but mileage on the odometer. I'm at a loss. I need help badly. Thanks to all for reading and whatever help you can give.
Rick
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM

My 2006 would not shift out of first gear and it was the second gear band causing it. It would go to redline then I let up on gas pedal and it shifted into 3rd and was fine after that. Had tranny rebuilt with a few perf goodies and a billet tq converter. All good after that.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM

fixed

Well turns out after some major disecting I tore the tranny pan off and there was a wedge shaped piece in the bottom. I knew it was the piece that pushes up against the adjusted for the front band. Figured band broke but after pulling the other stuff out the band was connected and had good material left and looked in good shape. So I tried to put the wedge back in and it slid right back in place. The adjusted had 7 threads sticking out and after adjusting correctly it had only 2 past the locking nut. So I adjusted the rear bands and did filter and fluid change and now back together and running great.
Rick