HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Winterizing Novice need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterizing Novice need help

I am in the military and just assigned to Fairbanks, AK. I have a 02 ram 3500 diesel DRW. I have never been anywhere where it gets much colder than the mid 20 -30 range now I am here where they tell me it normally stays -30 to-40 in the winters. My problem is that I don't know jack! The one and only dealer here is trying to tell me that I need to have installed two engine block heaters, a tranny heater(mine is auto), a battery blanket heater for each battery and insists that I need a "high idle" kit/switch as well. All this is going to be in the neigborhood of $900 on up. Can anyone tell me what i really "need" to survive. I feel the dealer is trying to take advantage of my ignorance. Also when plugging in your vehicle should I leave it plugged in overnight or should I plug in a few hours prior. Has anyone ever had experience with Marvels Mystery oil? My friend says I can add it to my fuel and my engine oil and it will prevent gelling at low temps??? I really can use any and all advice for operating in extreme cold environments that I can get. Thank You. ???
Old 11-10-2002, 08:48 PM

Re:Winterizing Novice need help

Hey, welcome to the site. I can't help you directly with the questions you ask. I just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring you. We have several members who currently reside in Alaska and I'm sure that as soon as they WAKE up, they'll be jumping in with all kinds of advice. I can believe those temperatures because of a year I spent at Campion AFS, up near Galena AB, on the Yukon River. Anyway, the guys will be answering you real soon. Hang in there and enjoy your tour.<br><br>~Dave
Old 11-10-2002, 09:44 PM

Maybe I can help a bit. I'm from north central Manitoba, Canada, so it gets cold here as well. You can save money on the high idler kit by cutting a stick to length and jamming it between the center console and gas pedal, RPM should be about 1300-1500. Crude, but effective. This would work to keep the temperature up when the truck is already warm. Don't do it to warm it up. Everyone says to drive it gently after letting it idle for a few minutes. Don't know about the two block heaters, one has always worked fine for me. Leave it plugged in all night under extreme conditions and during the day, if you can. You can get a fuel driven pre-heater if an outlet is unavailable, but these are costly(~$1000) Battery blanket(2) helps a great deal and is inexpensive. The best would be if you can keep it in a garage, even if it's not heated it helps more than anything. A truck plugged in at -40 outside ,no matter how many gadgets/heaters you have, is much harder to start than one plugged in indoors.Also, buy the grill and bumper inserts to prevent cold air from entering the front. Lund, among others, make nice ones in black plastic or stainless steel. Ignore anyone telling you to leave &quot;10% of the front open for the charge air-cooler&quot;. It will get plenty of nice cold air with grill and bumper holes sealed.
I don't use synthetic, but have heard it helps alot for cold starts.
The most damage is probaly done by short runs in the winter, driving and shutting down the truck before it's had a chance to warm up. I suspect the diesel fuel in Alaska should be the winter blend as it is here this time of year. It contains anti-gel properties, though I always add some diesel fuel conditioner made by &quot;Kleen-Flo&quot;(not sure if this is a Canadian brand). Here we refer to diesel as &quot;summer&quot; and &quot;winter&quot; diesel.
I'm sure others have more ideas for you.
My trucks are an '02 2500 CTD/HO and a '91 CTD(smokes like it's on fire with cold starts).

Couple more things I thought of:
Shift tranny into neutral when you let it warm up. That gets the fluid warmed up faster. Also, you may have to shift into drive and move a few feet ahead before reverse will work properly.

If you start a Cummins in cold weather without it being plugged in, the engine sounds like there's a dozen gremlins with jackhammers under the hood. Don't be alarmed, it's normal!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:18 AM

I too am from Manitoba and my 93 has never had a battery blanket, but gets plugged in all night with it's single block heater. Theres a lot of iron and coolant in a CTD and it takes at least 5-6 hours for the block heater to do much. I switch to 0W-30 or 5W-30 semi synthetic when my Oct or Nov change comes up (Truck runs about 5000mi 8000km/month). It will make a huge difference in how much more quickly your oil pressure builds on start up. I got a high idle solenoid from a GM dealer [undecided] and it works just fine. Once my oil pressure comes up, I set it to about 900. Put my winterfront on from Thanksgiving to Victoria Day and switch to bug screen opposite. (Mid Oct to Mid May). I refuse to use a remote starter as I want to be there if something isn't right on fire-up. 5-10 minute warmup in Neutral with brake set (cold automatics may creep). and away you go. Two block heaters will speed up your plug in time if you forget, but one is lots if you leave it plugged in or at least do it the night before. My truck makes lousy heat however and I am still trying to find a full flow 195 t'stat for winter use. Battery blanket(s) will help your battery get its charge back more quickly but mine lights up so quick I've never used one. Also if its below -30 I cycle my intake heater twice. Just a note, in March 97 in Regina SK @ trade show, had to park Greatwhite outside. Beautiful weekend 25-40 F then early Sunday AM cold front temp to -25 F with wind. Truck too big to fit in either parkade so it was parked outside hotel since Thursday with no access to power. Walked out and darn near stopped breathing. I've gotta start it in this!!??!! It lit right up but oh lord what a noise, I swear all that 15w40 was going around in a lump stuck to the crank. Probably cost me 10000 miles of engine life. BUT IT STARTED. ;D. BTW what the @#$&amp; is a tranny htr.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:30 AM

hello, I live in northern manitoba (a few miles south of churchill) and it gets down to -40 regularly around here .....<br><br>I use the 1 factory block heater, it's about 0 degrees farenhieght(-18 celcius) right now this time of year and my truck starts no problem not plugged in but the wait to start light stays on for almost 1 minute and it takes forever to warm up ......<br><br>if I plug it in right now the wait to start light stays on for like 3 seconds and the truck warms up pretty quick, so use your block heater, I leave my truck plugged in all the time and just unplug it when I go to use it, it stays plugged in for days on end sometimes (it's outside)......<br><br>the factory block heater is very good and CTD's start very well compared to other big diesels (my mom's volswagon TDI diesel has started at -35 NOT plugged in, it's amazing)<br><br>I use no winter front if the thermostat works it'll warm up on the highway, but I do hear from other local ctd owners the fronts help warmup time and around town driving very much, soo I'd get one<br><br>battery blankets are a must and work very well.....<br><br>I'd run mobile devlac 5w40 it'll help cold starts........<br><br>as for fule additive, I run none but I do carry a bottle of diesel fuel anti gel with me, when it's -40 sometimes it does gell up and then you need to add it .......<br><br>if it's -40 all the time I'd just add the anti gell every tank, most of the time it's only -30 around here, but it dip low quite often......<br><br>as for the tranny heater, I don't have an auto so maybe someone else can answer that, I have owned lots of auto equipt gas vehicles and never had a tranny heater on them though ....<br><br>also one thing I always do is drive it till it's warmed up to operating tempature before you shut it down again, it's very hard on them to start cold, make a short trip and shut down cold again<br><br>I find a short trip out on the highway warms em up the fastest, they'll never warm up idling, and slow town driving doesn't seem to help much.....<br><br>BTW dodge has a program for the computer that automatically fast idles the truck when it's gold........ I'm going in to get my truck flashed tomorrow......<br><br>
Old 11-11-2002, 10:00 AM

YES!! I forgot to mention that. Always have anti-gel with you. Always. And that mark on the fuel guage that you thought meant you had a 1/4 tank left? Treat it as your EMPTY line. Running out of fuel at 30 F is inconvenient. Running out at -30 is death. . One quick note on winter fronts. Most times your antifreeze will be good to -40. Check it out. Be sure. Antifreeze will crystalize or gel in your radiator however and when your t'stat opens nothing will show up. I don't have a windchill chart handy, but I'm sure that -40 plus 65mph = very &amp;*($#@! cold. Plus it will slow down that blast of cold air over your engine and up against your firewall. BTW if my truck isn't going to run for an hour on cold days, I don't run it at all.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running a semi-synthetic or synthetic oil would be benificial in the cold starts anyway..<br><br>As in another post, I use a 0W-40 heavy duty oil by Esso in the winter months. I notice at least a 10 second reduction to achieve full oil pressure at startup and you don't have to worry if you can't plug it in.. The oil will at least let you startup.<br><br>Good point about the winterfronts too.. When its -30, the rad will freeze if you don't have it covered or at least the truck warm before you go.. If you just jump in and blast off, you may be stopping real soon as the engine overheats but your rad is a solid block of ice.. Not fun.<br><br>These are all great cold weather tips... We should get these in the FAQ... Oh Gonzo!!!! <br><br>J-eh
Old 11-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Lil Dog link=board=13;threadid=6873;start=0#65215 date=1037051164]<br><br>These are all great cold weather tips... We should get these in the FAQ... Oh Gonzo!!!! <br><br>J-eh<br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree Lil Dog,<br> I'll go rattle Gonzo's cage now,,, ;D<br><br>I would also like to Welcome you to the site cft68,<br> I figured some of our folks up North would chime in with some info. Now I got to go,,,,,,,,, This thread has got me shivering in my socks! <br>Minus 30 and -40 degrees should be against the law,,,,,,,
Old 11-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=RATTLINRAM <br>Minus 30 and -40 degrees should be against the law,,,,,,,<br>
<br> I can tell you it is definately against my religion!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:16 PM

week had one week of -45c last winter, that's -49F for you south of the border types <br><br> that was cold, especially with the wind.........<br><br>
Old 11-11-2002, 11:51 PM

cft68 you have put your request for information on two different locations on this site. I am in Fairbanks and have given the information you requested on the engine o2 site. If you need additional help give me a call at 488-4589.<br>Dennis
Old 11-12-2002, 01:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips. It has been a bit overwhelming since I transplanted from So. California to come here. In those almost 4 weeks I have had my cherry popped on driving in snow, ice and oh yeah ice fog. Did I mention all the shaking heads when they see me in my 2WD Dually. Heck, this is suppose to be my tow rig not a 1-ton projectile on Ice. I've replaced my wiper blades twice, added 6 new tires had them &quot;sipped&quot; for better traction, replaced all my fluids at least once since I got here. It's actualy kinda funny this little whirlwind of an adventure I'm having. I'm glad to be here in AK and now that some of the physical and financial strain is starting to subside I'm going to try to enjoy this winter wonderland.<br> Thank you again for all of your help. Hope to talk again soon. Ah, yes one other thing any suggestions for better tractioin and driving a 2WD Mopar Ice rocket. Apparently, there is a 4WD Dodge in my future. How sonn or how far down the road is yet to be determined. You guys think I will survive with this rig?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:35 AM

I'm more inclined to wonder if the rig will survive you. Any truck can be adapted to meet the needs of the area. You've got alot of info in your inbox. Sounds like theres a handle on your situation. Just remember, when rolling down the road and your truck is swapping ends in a giant circle, you're your own carnival ride , and theres gonna be a kid in the crowd saying &quot;C-o-o-o-o-l. 8) 8)<br><br>~Been there, done that Dave
Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 AM

Couple of things for more traction ... I often put a half dozen or so 24&quot; x 30&quot; concrete sidewalk pavers in the back, they don't take a lot of space out of the box and they add a pile of weight. Friend of mine had the nerf style rear bumpers and filled them with sand. One more thing, and I'm not sure if they do it in Alaska or not, but you might want to invest in a set of winter tires and have them studded (kinda like putting little steel spikes in your tires) just don't drive them on pavement for extended distances cuz then you get steel flying along with the gravel!<br><br>Two wheel drive dually in snow not my idea of fun! :
Old 11-12-2002, 03:08 PM

AND IF YOU PUT ANYTHING IN BACK FOR WEIGHT.....TIE IT DOWN...cause it hurt's like a SOB if'in it hits ya in the back of the head..don't need to ask me how I know that

Quick Reply: Winterizing Novice need help