HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Water in my oil!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water in my oil!!??

Ok, so I go to Wal-Mart the other day to get my oil changed (for $5 more than what I would spend to do it myself they'll do it while I get some shopping done) and the tech says it looks like I have water in my oil. He asks if I ran my truck hot. FOOL!! I said. No. he doesn't know how it got there. He finishes with the oil and I go later to get a second opinion. The new guy says maybe it's a blown head gasket. Now I'm all freaked out. I have absolutely no trouble out of my truck except when I accelerate REALLY hard. It stutters/sputters a little. But absolutely no smoke. I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. For the past two years I have only put Royal Purple oil in it, every 3000 miles; within a couple hundered miles. This last oil change is one of two times that I went double over my miles because my wife left out of town on an emergency so I couldn't do the change at 3000 miles. This is the only truck I have so I take really good care of it. The last time I experienced the stutter/sputter with gradual speed pick up I had to change a coil pack. But on that occasion my check engine light came on also. I also have a muffler that is not welded on just yet, it's clamped just not welded. So any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. And thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get an oil sample and send it to Blackstone labs. They will analyze your oil and send you a report. They will send you a sample bottle free but the report costs about $20. They can find antifreze in the oil in parts per million, better than a Wallmart technician. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.php
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasonbailey
Ok, so I go to Wal-Mart the other day to get my oil changed (for $5 more than what I would spend to do it myself they'll do it while I get some shopping done) and the tech says it looks like I have water in my oil. He asks if I ran my truck hot. FOOL!! I said. No. he doesn't know how it got there. He finishes with the oil and I go later to get a second opinion. The new guy says maybe it's a blown head gasket. Now I'm all freaked out. I have absolutely no trouble out of my truck except when I accelerate REALLY hard. It stutters/sputters a little. But absolutely no smoke. I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. For the past two years I have only put Royal Purple oil in it, every 3000 miles; within a couple hundered miles. This last oil change is one of two times that I went double over my miles because my wife left out of town on an emergency so I couldn't do the change at 3000 miles. This is the only truck I have so I take really good care of it. The last time I experienced the stutter/sputter with gradual speed pick up I had to change a coil pack. But on that occasion my check engine light came on also. I also have a muffler that is not welded on just yet, it's clamped just not welded. So any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. And thanks in advance.
sorry to say but this a diesel forum
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Don't know must about hte 4.7 I would see if has an engine oil cooler, something of that nature.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"Wal-Mart the other day to get my oil changed" I would rate that as the first mistake.

2nd, I would have to actually see this issue first hand.

3rd, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wal-Mart guy used a drain bucket with water already in it.

Pull your dipstick and look. If it's got a problem with water in the oil, an oil change aint gonna magically fix it. Obviously you've driven it since then so if it really has a problem, it'll show on the dipstick. Your oil will look like a nasty chocolate milkshake. I'm betting you won't see any water in your oil.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
sorry to say but this a diesel forum
Don't be so negative to the guy, he needs help so we'll help him all we can. The "Help" forum does not specify diesels only...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

the oil filler funnel off the front of the head sticks out and these do collect moisture. the oil in this area may look milky.I have seen this on may oil changes on the v8-6 with this setup....
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Ok, maybe it's a little lazy to get my oil changed at Wal-Mart I admit. However, they called me over as soon as they found oil in the fill tube. They wouldn't even change the oil until I signed a release of liability form because of the water. And yes it looked like a nast chocolate milkshake.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Have you checked it since? You will be able to see if you have water in the oil. You really need to check it, and stop driving it if it does have water in the oil.