HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

water in fuel!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile water in fuel!!!!

Help! Last night I stoped at the gas station and put in 104l of diesel, but it was no good... i started my truck drove 30 meters and my water in fuel light came on. So i dumped the seperator now it wont start after trying to crank... so a lady then tells me she filled her vw tdi and same thing only they made it twenty 10 meters from that pump.
After i tried to crank my truck i had white smoke like when its cold come out
My fass lift pump sounds weird(yeah i changed both fuel filters like 3 months ago and dump the seperator every tank) and i got it towed home. What is the possibility of blowing up the engine being wrecked. The tow truck said i was the 6th call from that gas station yesterday. Will the gas station or fuel company pay for damages? And more importantly what must be done to my truck? Does this mean drop the tank replace injection pump& lift pump & injectors? Has this happened to any one else? I appreciate any and all help
Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Best would be to empty and drop tank and clean it out.
Remove line at Cp3 (seal open Cp3 fitting with cap or sim) change filters on FASS and fill them with known clean fuel.
If you haven't by passed stock filter open drain and take out old filter.
Open fitting at the back of Cp3 that feeds rail and one injector line to drain rail.
Remove return line from engine so crap fuel can't get back into tank and recontaminate fuel, best would be to do it at tank to flush return line.

Now put new clean fuel into tank turn on key but don't try to start. When you have good flow of clean fuel at stock filter turn off key and install new filter and close drain, if no stock filter do same at Cp3, reconnect line at Cp3. Now take a couple rags and wrap them around open lines at Cp3 and top of rail. Now be very careful this is the high pressure side now and a one man job. If your turning the key your far enough from the lines and pressure unless you got 6 foot arms and 4 elbows on each. . Now turn over engine for about 10 secs, stop and remove rag at Cp3 and tighten fitting. Turn over again for 10 secs, stop and remove rag and tighten injector line. Now with the return line still off hopefully at tank try and start truck, with some luck it should go might cough and sputter with crap stuffs in injector lines and bodies. when it starts let it run for a few mins with the return line in a bucket to catch old fuel and to flush return system. Give it a double or triple dose of fuel conditioner. Save a few samples of the crap fuel then go to the fuel station and give them a bill for fuel and time to drain/refill system and they are on the hook for any other damages to that may have occured.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Angry

Thank you... i just hope after i tried to start it i didnt Edit up my vp44 the injectors the lift pump or the engine. All right i guess i ll tow it to a shop and wait for results.
This is gonna be an expensive lesson for the gas station owner to learn.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Make sure you have your receipt for the fuel.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Again. Huge thanks for the input. Gas company said they are going to pay,
I guess i will believe it when i get some$
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What FASS and filters are on it?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Stock fuel filter. Fass in tank lift pump but the mechanic who installed it
put a in line fuel filter on it. I think it was a uap/nappa 3270 gold. My tech told me change the small one every oilchange/ 4 months and the main one 2 times a year. I am worried about my lift pump cause after i put crappy fuel in it sounded weird, and if my vp44 goes out .....
And thats the least of my worries, i hope i didn't do engine damage while trying to crank her after 2 times emptying the seperator, water dont compress. I had this happen on a honda with 10:1 comp whats my truck 16-17:1? I am puckering to pay bill !
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FASS doesn't make an in-tank lift pump.

So to get this correct, you have a lift pump in the tank, a strainer in the line, then the OEM filter?

Dump the fuel, pull the return line and put it into a 5 gallon pail. Fill the tank with good fuel and a qt of 2-stroke TC-W3 oil. Then run the fuel pump for a while to get all the old fuel out of the lines/VP, and then hook the return line back up.. and fire it up.

I doub't you got enough water in the cylinders to do any damage, its the VP/Injectors I'd be worried about, at least the fuel station is paying for it. I would also get that in writing ASAP.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Ok thanks for clarifying that for me.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM

how about 90% water plus sludge? would that do any damage to the cylinders? yes it would.

hey chaosnorth its the guy with the 06 2500 that you have been talking to (actually im his son) and the cummins shop we took it to sed it was 90% water and there was sludge in it. he needs to replace all the injectors ($7500 in parts) and thats just to start
Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM

That's way to much for parts even if you included labor that is to much.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM

doesnt matter to me because the gas station is paying. there's gotta be some crazy damage because i had exhaust coming out of the airbox when i tried to restart it and it was knocking extremely loud