HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Turn the Key and Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
LMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn the Key and Nothing

I parked at the beach in 110 degree heat. Came back to my truck turned it on the A/C fan was cranking while I waited for the start light to go out. I turned the key and nothing! Voltage gauge looks OK, tried to jump it, still nothing. Never had any problems with it starting. Where should I begin?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what year truck? could be the starter contacts
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
LMC

Its a 2000 with 103,000 miles. From what I've read in the other threads that sounds like it could be the problem. Do have to take the starter out to get to the contacts? The starter looks really hard to get to.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no need to remove. maybe the dtr store has the Larry B starter contacts in stock.

do a search using Larry B starter contacts as your search.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM
LMC

Are the contacts on the back of the starter motor?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by LMC
I parked at the beach in 110 degree heat. Came back to my truck turned it on the A/C fan was cranking while I waited for the start light to go out. I turned the key and nothing! Voltage gauge looks OK, tried to jump it, still nothing. Never had any problems with it starting. Where should I begin?

ok do u get a click click? or do u turn th ekey and the power just dies?...click click is almost always starter contacts...but wouldnt hurt to clean all the terminals and cables and put everyhtign on tight...u might get a few more starts out of it
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by LMC

ooops i noticed u have a 2000...that means u have the vp44 pump...lets hope its not your lift pump/pump...many have felt the wrath of that pump
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM

Sounds like starter contacts. Mine did the same thing only in freezing sleet. I had to walk 5 miles home then in the morning I walked over to AZ and picked up a starter and some tools and walked another 5 miles packing the starter and $30 worth of tools back to the truck. It took more time to get the truck jacked up than to take the starter off. The only trick tool you need is a 10mm 12 pt comb wrench sometimes hard to find. Be sure to unhook the battery. Not a hard job just the outside conditions make it harder. My starter burned up the insides too so it was rebuilt time $200. Also the shorted starter killed the batteries . You may need to look up a few "choice" words to use while removing things. It will make you feel better. haha Get the big contacts as soon as you can.
Good luck
Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 PM

Check the starter relay fulse under the hood. If its burnt, its the contacts.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM
LMC

No sound at all. No clicking. Nothing. Charged the battery. Voltage looks good. Everything works but the starter. I'll try and take it off tommorow. I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 AM

Don't get ahead of yourself, grab a test light and hook it to the small terminal on the starter. Try to start the motor and see if the light goes on. If it does that means the starter is getting a signal. If not it could be any number of things that are easy to check. Check the fuse, check the relay (you should be able to hear it click if not put a finger on it and you will feel it click). Another idea that may sound dumb but it could have something to do with neutral safety switch if you have an auto. With your foot on the brake try moving the gear selector on the column up and down to see if the starter will catch.

It may be the starter but there are plenty of other things it could be that are cheap and easy to check.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Chapter President

Please fill out your signature so we know as much about your truck as possible!

If it's an AUTO - sounds like you're not seeing "Park" or "N" - run the shifter though the pattern and see if you get some action then...; Or perhaps your key is not toggling beyond the "Run" to Start" position?

If it's a MANUAL...... I hope the other DTR guys can diagnose it for you@!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 AM
LMC

O.K. Checked the fuses. Starter Soleniod fuse was blown. Replaced it turned the key, made one click and blew the fuse again.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Its the contacts. 100%. A cheap temporary fix is a circut breaker in place of the fuse. Then replace the contacts asap.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ds1rider
Its the contacts. 100%. A cheap temporary fix is a circut breaker in place of the fuse. Then replace the contacts asap.
Agree. Starter contacts are easy to fix. If you can't wait for the contacts to come you can replace the starter, but that is a $150 for a rebuilt one.

See my pics for what a burn set of contacts looks like.

Quick Reply: Turn the Key and Nothing