HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

truck overheating after head gasket R&R

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck overheating after head gasket R&R

This past Saturday I replaced my head gasket. Due to work and other priorities, I just got it all bolted back together last night. I tried to drive it this morning. It is severely overheating. It hit against the 240 redline several times before I could turn it around and get it back home.

I need this truck for work, and I changed the head gasket myself attempting to save a few dollars. I may have done myself no favors though.

I have no idea what to check. I torqued the head down properly, and I do not see any leaks from the head gasket itself. I torqued the exhaust manifold and intake manifolds, and replaced all high pressure fuel lines. I snugged the fuel line connections at the head and vp-44. I reconnected the turbo, MAP, IAT and Engine Coolant temp sensors, and reconnected the air intake, belts and hoses. I verified that coolant is flowing in the top radiator hose. I had recently replaced the thermostat and it did not overheat before this head gasket R&R.

I thought maybe I dorked up one of the injectors while installing the head gasket, or that I didn't tighten the high pressure fuel lines, but it seems to run too smoothly for that to be the case. It does have VERY low power though.

The truck did not overheat before I changed the head gasket. I followed my Haynes manual instructions to the best of my ability.

PLEASE advise, as I need this thing running.

Many thanks to anyone that can offer advice.

Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
take the pipe plug out not far behind the thermostat housing, and make sure that there is not an air bubble in the cooling system. That plug will let all the air escape.

I have had a few that have coolant flowing in the top hose, just not enough, brought them in for overheating. It is something to check.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks Pind. I'll give this a try.

Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, let the truck cool off and open the rad cap. Fire the truck up, turn heater on high and top up with antifreeze. You have to fill slowly. It will all be ok. You might need a thermostat, if you do, buy a Cummins, expensive, but they work.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Good advice above. You may also want to remove the thermostat and make sure it didn't fall apart in the head. I've seen more than one where the disc on the bottom of the stat fell off and was floating around in there.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks Guys! I KNEW I was forgetting something when I was trying to baby it home this morning. I should have turned the heater on high, and that would have saved it banging it against the 240. It was scaring me to death that either the engine would catch fire or I'd damage it or both. For having 193,000 on the clock, when I looked down into the block while the head was off, the crosshatching on the cylinder walls looked like it was brand new! Hopefully I've not gone and damaged my expensive (and cherished) Cummins

When I get home this evening, I'll make sure I try these excellent suggestions.

Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM

BTW, I had just purchased the (gold plated?) thermostat from Cummins about 2 weeks before R&R'ing the head gasket, so I think it is okay. I will give it a visual like you suggested.

Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Gentlemen, let me say first off how much I appreciate your help in my time of need :-)

At lunch today, I went home and just as you had suggested, verified that coolant was circulating in the block. This morning, apparently all the coolant was staying in the radiator!

I turned on the heater, topped off the reservoir, and it runs like a champ now!I am going to change the oil this evening, so I hope my 3-4 jaunt from and to my house this morning and the 240 degree runups didn't do lasting damage to my precious 24v!

My HG overhaul appears to have been spot on. I've never done one before, and I did this completely by myself.

I can't believe that I missed the smallest detail and it really cost me! I hadn't given a second thought to ensuring that the newly added coolant was actually circulating. Now I have learned my lesson, and I will wear my nincompoop hat proudly.

Anyway, thanks again - Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 PM

why did you replace the head gskt?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM

I had heavy coolant leak at the passenger front side of the engine, just under the thermostat housing.