HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck died

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Truck died

Yesterday my truck died. Was parked for about 40 minutes, started up as usual, drove for 50 feet and the engine just died as though I had turned the ignition switch off. No prior loss of power, no missing, it just quit.

About 700 miles prior to this in traffic it also died, but I floored it and it came back to life, but 'dieseled' horribly for about two seconds and then drove like nothing happened. For the last week it at idle it occasionally has a barely perceptable stumble.

My lift pump pressure is almost 8 psi at idle and at 70 mph at WOT up a steep hill I still have a minimum of 4 psi. This is the original lift pump and it has 84,000 miles on it.

I loosened one injector line on the pressure rail and when cranking the engine only bubbles came out. Lift pump pressure was still good.

To me, irregardless of any codes, the injector pump has died. Any other (cheaper) suggestions would be much appreciated. If it is the injector pump, what suggestions does anybody have for the replacement? I can of course install a new CP3, but maybe I should consider something else? Other than a dual CP3, are there any other alternatives?

Stupidly I forgot to check the codes on the odometer, but later today will go to the Cummins dealer where I had the truck towed and pull any codes. I have a code reader and did check codes with that and it came up with P0107, P0073 & PO0192. I may have caused the PO107 code a couple of weeks ago when I started the engine with the Scotty disconnected.

One problem that needs to be factored in. I am presently in central Mexico, so if I go with anything other than a OEM pump, I have to consider the rush shipping etc.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

H E L P

OK guys, I really need your help. A lot of you have read this post, but nobody has replied.
My truck has spent the last couple of days at the Cummins/International dealer and they are stumped. They tell me that now they are waiting for the Cummins rep. I tried to pull the codes from the odometer but it just reads "Done".
I am about ready to send a tow truck to the Cummins dealer and bring the truck home and work on it myself.
Can someone tell me ALL the probable causes of this problem?
If necessary I will go out and buy all the possible parts and start changing.
Where are the best places to buy what I need at a decent price and have them couriered down to me?
The following users liked this post:
bernhard85 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say just go with a stock CP3. I haven't heard of too many of them failing, but of came from the world of VP-44's where you are on a count down pretty much regardless of what preventative measures you take.

If you are staying relatively stock, not much sense in getting a hopped up pump. (IMO).
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I would say just go with a stock CP3. I haven't heard of too many of them failing, but of came from the world of VP-44's where you are on a count down pretty much regardless of what preventative measures you take.

If you are staying relatively stock, not much sense in getting a hopped up pump. (IMO).
Thanks for the response. But is it the pump, or something else?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Well, going on your description of "bubbles" rather than a huge mess of fuel squirting out.......
A Starscan (or whatever it's called DC dealers use) should be able to tell you.

Truck acts fine electrically, (other things didn't fritz out), right?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Forget the Dodge dealer I am in central Mexico and I know more about diesel engines than they do. In any case, the local Dodge dealer does not sell the diesel option.
There are no apparent burnt electrical components and no blown fuses.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
P.J
Banned

Regardless of weather or not they sell or stock the diesel, the have do have a scanner. Certainly not worth towing it somewhere for them to hook up to it, but it would be nice to know if you've thrown an obvious CP3 malfunction code, to count out other possibilities such as ECM issues.....

Aside from throwing some parts at it, I'm not sure. Symptoms SURE seem like total loss of fuel.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't drive an electronically controlled truck, but I agree w/ P.J. Total loss of fuel. My guess would be the fuel pump (IP). When my injection pump went out it would just bubble some fuel out instead of squirting fuel that sprayed everywhere. I would start there if your gonna throw parts at it. JMHO!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
P.J
Banned

Ah,
parts throwing: Nothing more satisfying that having the FIRST thrown part cure the problem.

Nothing more frustrating that having it not fix a friggin thing.........

Good luck Stan.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
By chance did you change the fuel filter?????? Have you tested the volume of fluid coming out of the LP? Do a search, there is a test scenario on here somewhere.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
By chance did you change the fuel filter?????? Have you tested the volume of fluid coming out of the LP? Do a search, there is a test scenario on here somewhere.
Fuel filter was changed about 1500 miles ago. I pulled the top off the fuel filter housing and activated the lift pump. There is a lot of flow. I even blew thru the fuel filter and there was no restriction. BTW, that leaves a wonderful aftertaste in the mouth
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Your codes.....

P0192 Fuel Pressure Sensor Voltage Too Low (Rail Pressure sensor)
P0073 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High (TIPM) (Intake air temp sensor at filter)
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low Input (Map sensor)

Clean and check your connections on your MAP sensor and Rail pressure sensor. I you have a box on your truck, take it off.

You can check voltage from the rail pressure sensor and see what it is with a VOM or use a rail pressure gauge. By chance did it sound like a 12 valve when it started acting up?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If there are no bubbles in the fuel entering the CP3, but there are bubbles in the fuel leaving the CP3, that's the area I'd be suspecting. Not an expert on these though. Good luck with it.

On edit: I wonder if an injector could stick open and allow compression pressure back into the rail? Opinions? Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
If there are no bubbles in the fuel entering the CP3, but there are bubbles in the fuel leaving the CP3, that's the area I'd be suspecting. Not an expert on these though. Good luck with it.

Yes, but if the rail pressure sensor is bad then it may tell the CP3 to not put out any fuel. A couple of folks have had a no start like this before due to the Rail Pressure sensor. Sallyman has an 04' right know he is waiting on a sensor due to a no start.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, another thought also. Might the rail pressure relief be stuck open or have failed? My 04.5 failed 5 times and each time truck would not start, not enough rail pressure to fire off injectors, nothing happened, showed fuel pressure from the lp to the CP3 but nothing beyond.
Think there is a way to plug it to test it and hopefully someone familuar with the procedure can chime in here.

Quick Reply: Truck died