HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck actin weird...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck actin weird...(long)

Today driving to Banff cruise set on 70mph, come up to park gates and see a ton of traffic waiting at the gates ahead of me. So now I am inching ahead a little bit for about 30 mins and I notice that my tranny is running above 150F.(never gets above 140F). So I decide that while I am waiting to drive ahead, that I keep the truck in neutral and then to drive when I pull ahead to keep the pump running and at least keep tranny cool.

I do this a couple times and the last time I accidently let the truck "Jump" ahead (with out brake on).

The truck starts idleing super rough, I pull over the side of the road and try to wait this out meanwhile my EGT's at idle in park are over 450F when I pull out 30 mins later my egt's to do 50mph are over 1000F so I lock the O/D out and this makes a big improvement but still I am over 850F to go 50 with no power.

To make a long story short I pull into my hotel, disconnect the batteries for an hour. Connect batteries, reset TPS, start the truck up and drive home like nothing ever happened......

If I was a betting man I would say the TPS is shot. What do you guys think?
What's the cost on changing one out?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I would not bet on the TPS- because it should not make the truck run rough, and it should not change EGTs.
Did you check your oil level? Check for codes prior to disconnecting the batteries?
To me it sounds like a sticking injector that got unstuck when the engine cooled down.

Just my2c

AlpineRAM
Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 AM

Checked the dipstick and level, no smell looked normal, levels normal.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:50 AM

I think it is the TPS because the truck wouldn't settle into gear and shuttle shifting. After resetting TPS problem gone. I didn't even think to look at the code when I reset it(stupid I know) I can get my smarty to retreive codes if I am not mistaken, even after cleared.

Also I am pretty sure the truck when into limp mode after that as I had power to 1/2 pedal and after that nothing.

Last edited by dfranks; 07-12-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: wanted to add some more info
Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with alpineram about it being fuel related with the egt's dont see how a tranny issue could raise egt's or cause it to run ruff. extra heat from the motor mite cuase a rise in the tranny temp
Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Just dloaded codes with smarty (should have done this before posting)

P0204- "Injector control circuit malfunction"
P2149- "unknown code"
P0299- "Boost in low range"

So does this mean my injector is fried or the controller "ECM"
What is my next step? Truck has 60K miles on it......
Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The 2149 hints to a short in the injector wiring in the valve cover gasket.

With this the engine will not run right and with the high egts your turbo will make more boost than the ECM expects for the RPM and load you are running at this moment. This can lead to codes that point to the turbo and it's sensors etc even if they are OK.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM

I think maybe you are somewhat correct in thinking the TPS is the culprit, but I doubt it's bad. More likly you just confused the ECM with all the in and out of gear stuff. There is alot of communication going on every time you put the truck into gear to optimize every parameter. Needless to say, your truck just couldn't figure out what the heck to do with the situation you put it in, hence the "fix" reseting the TPS.

You have codes. Did you try to clear them? Take the truck back to stock and drive it for a few days. Let the ECM "re-learn" it's parameters and clear its' head. It sounded like unplugging the batteries fixed the problem, but left the codes. I wouldn't see how idles threw traffic would cause an injector failure, and the codes you are showing do not reflect that at all. It is most likly a hiccup caused by the TPS signal not matching what the ECM was thinking and so maybe an injector didn't fire when it should have or vise-versa. One thing I notice that is a positive sign is that the 0204 code is a malfunction and not a failure. This is good. It means your truck just messed up a little, but nothing is broken.

Hope this helps. I am just quessing with the little experience I have with the CR engines. I hated codes, and thought they were worthless until I learned to read them properly.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM

I cleared the codes, running stock for now (truck is great wen't for 2 hour drive)I will watch for a week and then I 'll reload the SW3 ( 416 default settings). I am headin out on a 2k trip so we'll see.
I figured I would make an appointment now at the dealership for when I get back ( have read of many other users on this site experiencing the short in valve cover gasket https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=a%2Fc+wires).

For now I will treat it as what JFlory says it is.... (which I kinda of thought too) until it happens again, then I know it's the short.

Otherwise it's like giving a blank cheque to the dealerships here If I don't know what's wrong when I bring it in. (Case in point $700.00 for front brakes with only 50k on them)

Thanks to this site and to everyone that has helped me with this issue, you guys are awesome.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM

*update* , absolutely no problems since then... all is well in my world.