HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

trouble again

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble again

ok guys went to new braunsfuls about a 30 minute ride. ON my way home the this morning stopped to get something to eat came back out and the truck wouldent start. like i have said the starter just clicked on me couple times and i got a contact kit on the way. But to this problem the truck would turn over but would not fire up. checked the fuses all good the pump is making noise loosend fuel filter cap and bumped the moter pumping fluid like it should but i still wont start.Is the any thing that would relate the starter problem to this problem or what is going on. Please help
Old 05-20-2006, 06:02 PM

Sounds like it might be time for a injector pump . check for injector pump timing faliure code or check to see of its out of fuel the sending units like to go bad and lie to you
Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 PM

the guy i bought it from said he had it replaced like 9000 miles ago but he has yet to produce reciets. It is not throwing any codes so how do i check it the other way you mentioned
Old 05-20-2006, 07:13 PM
RCW

Read my post to the "got a problem with the engine," it sounds like pretty much the same issue.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 PM

ok how do i make sure it is the injection pump and also what does the map and iat sensors do and where are they
Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 PM

alight guys any help would be great but i read on some other post to crack injectors 1 and3 i tried doing that but it seems like they just want to strip out. i am using a 3/4 or is it a metric size and how tight are they
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM

alight i got another queastion. On the drivers side battery on the positive terminal the small two black wires that go into one ring connecter that attatches to the positive terminal. On my truck where these two wires go together into the ring connecter is very corrodid and the ring connecter is almost gone. I am going to replace these but i was wondering if anybody know what you do
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 PM

sorry for the typo, what they do
Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

Yep, the injectors are tight, I don't recall if they are 3/4 - make SURE you have a tight wrench fit, stripping one of those would be a VERY large headache...

Fixing up all the connections / connectors is ALWAYS a good idea, I'm not sure where your 2 wires go, can you trace them to a point of termination?

I think you can do the 3-cycle key trick and get the codes on your '01, look for the dreaded 0216.....that's the VP.

IAt and MAP sensors are on the drivers side, there are several pics and links to them on this website, try a search for either one, you should find several sources.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:49 PM

well i cracked the injecter 1 and 3 and got fuel coming out but not very much. Does anybody know the size of the socket you need to take the map and iat sensor out. the biggest i got is 7/8ths in a deep so i will have to go and buy one
Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 PM

i dont know if this will help but i tried running the codes and they dident show anything.Last week i had replaced my transducer and soloniod in my transmission. i had never reset the codes. Now they are gone. does that mean anything
Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 PM

ok guys i just tried bleeding the system i also unplugged the map and iat sensor to see if connections were corroded and they werent but after i tightend everything back up i decided to run the codes again and i got the 1693 and 0113 which means iat sensor voltage to high does anybody know what this means
Old 05-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Did you check your fuel filter, if it was recently changed and the lack of fuel to the injector sounds like it is the injection pump. Whent through a similar issue myself. Out of curiousity, did the engine start pinging under load recently????? Thats what mine did just before it died.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:24 PM

well i am getting fuel to the injectors i cracked them and they shot fluid. I dont know how much but i had a good puddle on the ground. I got the receits from the previous owner and the injection pump had been replaced 25000 miles ago. I dont know if it is still covered but i will find out tomarrow. I am also going to call the cummins service center down the road it is about 7 miles. Are they pretty good to deal with i havent heard much about them
Old 05-22-2006, 07:31 PM

ok i borrowed a scan tool from my boss and all it gave me was the same code the truck showed me 0113. but when i tried to delete the codes it kept giving me a error message saying it couldent like with the computer. This is what i am thinking before it the truck wouldent run the starter would click but after a few trys at it it would start up. This dident went on for about 2 days and then the truck died. i was told that there is a fusable like on the small black wire that connects to the starter. Is this true i cant find one but i am going to do some continuity test on it. I am thinking that the computer is not getting enough power on start up. anybody please chime in with suggestions or comments

Quick Reply: trouble again