HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Tranny Won't Drop to 1st After Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Won't Drop to 1st After Stopping

The problem is that my tranny is going into "limp mode" after I take off the 1st time and stays in 3rd gear unless I manually pull it down into first and then back to drive. When I first crank it in the morning it and back out then take off in drive it does fine. After I stop at my first stop sign it wants to take off in 3rd gear. I can either pull it down manually into first and it will shift down to 1st then I just pop it back up into drive and when I hit the throttle it takes of normally shifting through each gear although I think it is hitting second a little quick. Shutting it off and recranking it also seems to reset it. I spoke with David from Goerend Brothers Transmittion in Iowa and he seems to think that it is the Governor Pressure Sensor (Transducer) or the Gov. Press. Solonoid. What say the masses?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:19 PM

My stock tranny never went into limp mode, but did have a problem of it not shifting into first, same as yours.

Governor Pressure Sensor and the Gov. Press. solenoid fixrd it.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by bmoeller
My stock tranny never went into limp mode, but did have a problem of it not shifting into first, same as yours.

Governor Pressure Sensor and the Gov. Press. solenoid fixrd it.
mine had the same problem, I had to make some noise at the dealership because I bought an extended warranty and they tried to say it wasnt covered
Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 PM

time for the good ol band adjustment...drop the pan change the filter, fluid and do your band adjustment...instructions on dodgeram.org
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had to change my GPS twice now and both times the truck wouldnt shift into low with out manually pulling it down.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:57 PM

This is probably caused by a defective governor pressure sensor and solonoid. They are very easy to replace after the transmission pan is removed ( and probably spilling transmission fluid all over yourself.) They are held into place on the valve body by a couple of bolts. They cost about $200 plus oil and transmission filter and pan gasket
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:07 PM

Had the same prob. on my 01 at 70K. Turned out to be the pressure selenoid in the tranny. Cost me around 100.00 for the part and oil (from dealer). Took me about 20 minutes to fix. Also adjusted the bands while I had the tranny pan dropped. Ran great after fix.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this SAME EXACT issuse at 41K miles, only I didn't know DTR existed at the time so I got ripped of by the Dealer who decided I needed a new Valve body and charged me over $1,200. Nice huh? Live and learn I guess, wouldn't buy from or use that dealer if my life depended on it.
NEWARK DODGE
Newark, Delaware in case anyone was wondering where NOT to get service from.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by mr T
time for the good ol band adjustment..
I did that, too. No change.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 PM

UPDATE

It was the solenoid and sensor. $180.00 later it is rolling like thunder once again. For everyones info the diagnosis came from David at Goerend Brothers Transmittion in Iowa. He was awesome and more than willing to help. Even offered to walk me through the repair if need be. They specialize in Dodge tranny's. Tks, to all for the help.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by pjsnyder76
I had this SAME EXACT issuse at 41K miles, only I didn't know DTR existed at the time so I got ripped of by the Dealer who decided I needed a new Valve body and charged me over $1,200. Nice huh? Live and learn I guess, wouldn't buy from or use that dealer if my life depended on it.
......and not too long ago I installed the solenoid and sensor and the problem was still there. I installed a different valve body and then it shifted ok.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
P.J
Banned

Okay, I hear you, but how does one decide to get the new Vavle body before the other (less expensive items). Seems a new valve body at 41K is pretty sad.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Particulates from your frictions wearing circulate in your fluid and form a sludge in the solenoid or sensor orifices, so they don't function properly. If the wear is pronounced the sludge will settle in other places in the valve body (See J BODY). The frictions should not be wearing so sludge is abnormal and indicates the transmission is being asked to do something beyond its capability (like transmitting full power at low RPM?) or internal leakage. You can replace parts but the wear will continue and the symptoms will return. The solution is to upgrade the transmission to handle the load.