HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

still stuck in creola al

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd think if you had any leaks on the back of the block they would see diesel on the tranny or on the ground if it is the crossover tubes you'd never know there was a problem. It has to be the crossover tubes man.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Are they hard to change? The injector tubes. Maybe ill just do it myself, and replace the brings on injectors at the same time. Are the tubes and orings a dealer part?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it would be a return flow volume test if the crossover tubes were leaking, or you can see that their wet on the outside, I think Alpineram is on the right track. Tubes on a 99 really dont need to be changed and usually they just need new orings. Has anyone checked the overflow valve on the vp to make sure its opening at 14psi. I wouldnt just throw money at new tubes and injectors, unless they are problematic, and if it were the injectors id be getting rv275's. The crossovers dont leak unless the orings nicked from prior removal or no seated properly into the injector.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Cummins told me the overflow valve wad good, don't know if they checked to see at what pressure it opens though. I have expressed my concerns about the orings. Cummins disagrees. They say my truck is sucking air somewhere and overnight that same leak is causingme to lose prime. They can't find the leak though.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Can't they pull a fitting and pressure or vacuum test? I find it hard to believe that there's nothing easy that will show you what's wrong. Either that or there's a service manager there that needs to get fired.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM

I've mentioned that as well. They have one more test they want to perfom. I don't know exactly what it is but it involves a lot of clear lines and another overnight stay. I'm gonna insist on new orings before the test. As long as they have had my truck they could have completely remodeled, repainted and rebuilt the engine nut they can't find an air leak.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
have they looked at the filter drain? I had one doing that and every morning no start . it ended up being the stupid filter drain it would only let air in with out the LP running and leaked no fuel out, it let the fuel drain back to the tank . it was the biggest pain in the but I had ever traced. just trying to help
Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Rebal, I never thought of that, great idea. Will defiantly look into that. Sometimes its the little things.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

If there are any more ideas please post tonight. The truck is going back to cummins tom. All ideas are greatly appreciated and WILL be relayed to the shop. Hopefully this problem can be resolved soon.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Rebal, how did you find the leak in the filter drain and how did you fix it
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Filter drain! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? I guess I was just thinking too far into the lines. That's a great one to check. Gold Stat for rebal!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Some of the most complicated things are a easy fix. I am here in Pensacola FL Not too far from where your are at BIG SHANE. If you need a haul or if there is any thing I can help with just PM me and I will shoot you my Number and would be glad to help..

Levi
Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Levi, I appreciate that. Hopefully by tom morning the fuel issue will be resolved. I'm at cummins midsouth in mobile al right now. If they can't find it by tom I will be convinced that they are incapable. I have given them every idea that has been given to me. Including the filter drain. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM

I know we have a good Diesel shop here I will try and get some ideas. I am off work tomarow just let me know if I can help with anything. I will PM my Number to you if you need anything.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM

So here's the latest. They ran a clear line from a five gallon bucket to the lift pump,from the pump to the filter then to the vp. They also connected a clear line to the return. After running the engine till all air bubbles were removed they capped off the supply line and placed the return line in a empty bucket. There is already a air pocket present in the return line where the clear line connects to the metal. Is that somthing to be concerned with or is that normal.
Big Shane

Quick Reply: still stuck in creola al