HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

still stuck in creola al

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still stuck in creola al

No more fuel in oil. But I still can't stay primed up. Cummins has ran multiple test and still can't find the prob they insist that there can't be a injector issue because I have no white smoke at start up. They have eliminated all connection problems on supply lines. I thought I knew my truck, now it seems no one does. Any ideas ?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM

If the early 24 valve is like the 3rd gen 24 valve the only thing i can think of is crossover tubes are leakin. It may not be enough to fill your return line far enough to get into the bucket on your tests but it could be plenty enough to lose your prime. How is it runnin once you get it started? If there is no diesel leakin anywhere on the outside and you ain't gettin diesel in your oil pan then it has to be leakin at the crossover tubes which should run through the little valley to the return line on the back of the block. Man that is the only thing that makes sense to me. I'm not a mechanic but i had to learn alot about all this when i put my own injectors in last summer.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 AM

I've suggested that to cummins because of this forum, guess my suggestions are falling on deaf ears. I've been tryin To go back to south fl for 2 weeks now. I'm stuck with a shop that has been paid nd can't produce. Does every one else agree " cross over tubes?" They have done all the clear line test ( I think, that's what they told me ne way)
Still stick in Creola al
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 AM

I know where you're at. Seems like I'm always paying someone else to screw my truck up for me.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 AM

I know right. But I'm 500 miles from home this really sucks. You would think cummins could fix there own engines
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM

How is it when its running? If you can get it started get the crap out of there and just don't shut the truck off til you get to a bigger town with a reliable diesel shop. Shoot you ain't but a half hour from mobile have your truck towed down there do a better shop.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM

It runs perfect once its running. It's the money I've paid that keeps me here. The money is getting less important everyday though
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 AM

I want them to find the problem. Every test they do takes overnight
Old 02-27-2011, 01:13 AM

I don't know I think I'd have to let the lost money go and get it somewhere where the mechanics know what they're doin. I'd at least call some of the diesel shops in mobile and talk at them a little. Whatever you decide good luck to you. Hope you get it goin soon. I know how it feels to be broke down over the road. I've been home in arkansas maybe 8 months out of the last 5 years and my trucks NEVER break down at home it always while I'm away.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 AM

Yeah, think I'm gonna have to take a loss. But losing prime everyday is a bog problem n they can't figure it.out at cummins
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I had the same problem with a customer's truck. It was the return line from the back of the block that caused it. It would not show up on the clear line test, but with the line removed, checked and 2 new copper washers it was solved.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Have they changed the check valve for the return line in the back of the head? I chagned mine when I changed heads and it was only 15ish bucks iirc. Like Alpine RAM said check the washers on there too, and it is a crap place to work and see at the back of the head.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kowalski
it is a crap place to work and see at the back of the head.
the only way they could have made it worse would have been to mount it between the engine and transmission inside the bell-housing
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do they have a good reason for not changing the cross over tubes. Crap I have a set sitting here for years when I thought I needed them for my 99. I don't remember them costing very much. You would think they would just do it at this point.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Cummins insists there can be no problem there because there is no white smoke and engine find perfect. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall with them. Every test they do in order to find the air leak is a overnight test.

Quick Reply: still stuck in creola al