HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

steering column messed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering column messed up

So this is the gig, I just bought (late December, 06) a '96 1 ton dually extended cab Laramie SLT 5 speed, and it looks like the previous owner gnawed on the top part of the steering wheel. I mean the leather is gone. It looks like duct tape now, and the cruise control and the horn don't work. I'm too old to be pressing on the gas all the time, so cruise is real important to me. Is replacing the whole column a big deal? Will any column, say from a half ton SLT, work? I have a button on the dash to make the horn work, so that's ok, but the horn is weak. It doesn't suit a truck of this one's stature. Is there room under the engine hood for one of those air horns of the 150bd range?
Other than those few problems, this is probably the best truck I've ever owned (and I own 5 others right now, all gasoline). The only time it wouldn't start is when I forgot to push in the clutch.
It's big, it's overbearing and with the "Big Tex" brush guard, idiots get out of the way. I love it.
I know I can't be the only one out there with these little problems, so thanks in advance for your help, everybody.
Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The steering columns are all the same, but there is no guarantee the new one is any better. You will have the problem of making sure you have a loaded airbag that is safe, and that the clockwork spring is not shot in that one too.

The problem is what is known as a clockwork spring. The simplest fix is to pull the wheel (after killing the power and letting it drain for half an hour) so you do not blow your windshield or put a wrench through your skull from tools flying when the airbag lets go as you are removing it. Then replace the clockwork spring and contact plates, and put on a new wheel.