HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

steering box wont come out

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering box wont come out

I need to get this out today so I can swing by the parts store and driving again asap.

I got the pitman arm off fine
the 2 lines off fine
the 3 frame bolts off fine
and ONE bolt off the steering input shaft

It seems to be stuck there tho. For some reason it wont disconnect from the steering shaft. Is there something i'm missing? Should it take a lot of force to remove it from that point?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Did you completely pull the bolt out or just loosen it? It fits in a groove and has to be pulled out. Mine came out very easily when I replaced the box. At the time there was over 550 k on the truck.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM

I took the bolt out completely and still no outward movement at all. The box is rusted to the point where I can break large flakes off of the surface so im sure the back is pretty nasty too. Im going to hit it with some PB blaster tonight and try again tomorrow I guess. In theory, It should just slide off/out, right?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can always take the steering shaft off of the column end and take them out together, then get it apart on the bench. If it is that rusty, it might take some pretty good convincing to get it to come apart. On the bench would have better angle to beat on it "gently" . Clean the splines up good if it is going back on, and make sure to anti seize the heck out of it when you put it back together.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
You can always take the steering shaft off of the column end and take them out together, then get it apart on the bench. If it is that rusty, it might take some pretty good convincing to get it to come apart. On the bench would have better angle to beat on it "gently" . Clean the splines up good if it is going back on, and make sure to anti seize the heck out of it when you put it back together.

If i were to take the shaft out of the column end, is it any easier of a procedure? I had to disconnect the lines from up top cause the lower nuts were locked up from the rust, so the column end may be my last resort if PB blaster doesnt do the trick...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM

I think vzdude has a good plan. The splines on the steering shaft should not be nearly as rusty as the lower end. I'm guessing you never clean your engine compartment.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
I think vzdude has a good plan. The splines on the steering shaft should not be nearly as rusty as the lower end. I'm guessing you never clean your engine compartment.

Well considering Ive had the truck for 2 years, 18 months of which the truck spent its life of jack stands or in various shops...I havent cleaned the engine compartment more than twice.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 AM

If it is rusted that bad it is probably unusable. Here is a source for an upgraded shaft.

http://www.borgeson.com/TRUCKS/DODGE.html
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
RCW

Stop by a gun shop and pick up a small can of Kroil. Squirt it on the splines and let it set overnight and then the shaft will just about fall off with a couple of light taps.

If it is the bolt that compresses the female spline coupler, just use a sawsall and whack one end off and squirt the remains with Kroil and then what it out with a punch the next day. It will pop right out.

Kroil is a bit unique, it eats rust so do not let it drip on your paint.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Try sticking a screwdriver in the slot that the bolt was in and pry the slot open a little. I had to do that the first time I swapped boxes. Also had to pry against the box to help pop the shaft off the box. Good luck, they can be a pain for something so simple.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Just like robert chilton, I had to use a big pry bar to pry the two shafts apart. And kroil is one awesome can of fluid. That stuff will soak into the tinyest of crevices...