HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Stalling when A/C is put on

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling when A/C is put on

I have a 1998 2500 24v. When the A/C is turned on, the truck stalls out at an idle. I have somewhat learned to deal with it, but my wife is driving me crazy about it. I saw on an earlier thread that you can adjust the idle. However, that was on a 12v. Is there a way I can adjust the idle on this thing or am I dealing with a whole other set of problems? We are going on a long trip tomorrow and I would like to hopefully nip it in the butt. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of that one on a 24 valve. Wonder if the a/c is the cause as in compressor going south, locking up? Does it do it all the time?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Not every single time but pretty darn close to it. It seems to act up even worse when the truck is warm. It will do it also without the A/C on. However, it doesn't happen nearly as much as when the A/C is on.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:37 PM

I would think the engine has enough power to slip the belt over a stuck ac compressor considering I can do an idling brake stand with my 285's.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You neglected to say what your idle speed is and if your AC is working when it kicks in and doesn't stall the engine.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 PM

I'm interested in this topic too as I have been having the same problem. It doesn't always stall, but mainly when shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. It will die as soon as it goes into gear and puts the load on the engine. Only happens with the A/C on, never with A/C off. Idle is at about 700 rpm and the A/C works fine with no strange noises and I barely feel any draw on the engine when going down the road and it cycling on and off. Seems like a higher idle would help but I think the electrics, fuel, etc, are all working as they should. Any ideas from out there would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by roysleight
I'm interested in this topic too as I have been having the same problem. It doesn't always stall, but mainly when shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. It will die as soon as it goes into gear and puts the load on the engine. Only happens with the A/C on, never with A/C off. Idle is at about 700 rpm and the A/C works fine with no strange noises and I barely feel any draw on the engine when going down the road and it cycling on and off. Seems like a higher idle would help but I think the electrics, fuel, etc, are all working as they should. Any ideas from out there would be appreciated.
That is pretty much what mine is doing. The idle is around 600-700. Also, the A/C is working properly.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine is a 12 valve so with a different IP and lift pump it would react different. However, the rule is to set idle at 750 with the AC on. You might try that, but I couldn't tell you how on a 24 v.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....you don't set idle on a VP equipped engine. That's what makes this interesting.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Is it possible that any of you have recently had your AC charged?
Overcharged or high head pressure could stall an engine.
I have had an overcharged AC unit stall a Pinto engine dead before.
Also do you think the AC is loading up the engine (trying to strangle it) or is the engine maybe loosing power?
I am not sure about the 24v engines, but isn't the idle speed controlled by the computer to compensate for the load? Shouldn't it show codes?
Jim.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM

I had the exact same problem. Mine however is a 12, doubt that has any bearing on it whatsoever.
After it started happening, I just got used to no AC for a while, finally i decided to have a look. I was praying the pump wasnt shot.
All I ended up doing believe it or not, was give it a good spray down of anti-sieze.
Pick your favorite, i think i used good ol WD.

At any rate, 2 years later, works fine, and somehow my 96 pumps colder air than my wifes brand new 05 grand cherokee
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Jim Lane
Is it possible that any of you have recently had your AC charged?
Overcharged or high head pressure could stall an engine.
I have had an overcharged AC unit stall a Pinto engine dead before.
Also do you think the AC is loading up the engine (trying to strangle it) or is the engine maybe loosing power?
I am not sure about the 24v engines, but isn't the idle speed controlled by the computer to compensate for the load? Shouldn't it show codes?
Jim.
My brother got into a wreck in the truck about 4 months ago. Before that, my A/C quit working on me for about a year and a half. When the truck was getting fixed they found that one of the lines was clogged for the A/C. They put a new line on it, recharged it, and the A/C was working. You have a valued point. I did not use the A/C much after the repair because the weather was not hot enough. ????????????????