HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Smoking ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking ?

Latley ive noticed and increase in black smoke upon acceleration especially when going through the mountains is this normal ?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your air filter lately? anything else look different? EGT`s or Boost.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Exhaust (sp)
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 PM

check air filter and fuel filter
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 PM

I phoned the dealership and they said it sounded as if it was getting to much fuel
soonest they could look at it is monday does this sound like it makes any sence to you guys ?
anyway i pulled air filter was dirty as ive ever seen it and i didnt clean it long ago but i drive a lotta miles about 6 000 in the last week ! so i cleaned it and pulled the end of the turbo where the air box connects there was a black film that i cleaned off it but the brearings spin freely also did the fuel filter is was black didnt change that long ago either!! anyway i drained the canister all the way when i went to restart it after the fuel filter what U usually do is open that littel drain valve and let the lift pump run and purge the air and usually starts pretty easy well it took about to tries to her the buzz of the lift pump but when I did I had fuel spraying out of it does this mean the lift pump is okay ??? anyway i am driving to Tennasee thurs. so well see if there is any improvent thanks for your tips guys!!! any additional feedback would be appreaciated.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:49 PM
JKM

If you bumped the starter and fuel sprayed out of the fitting then the lift pump is probably fine , but GET A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE! it will save you big $$ in the long run.

And someone will correct me if i am wrong , but it is normal for the fuel filter to be black.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:06 AM

I appreciate the tips and input very much you guys on here seem to know better whats going on than the dealership !! thanks again
Old 06-16-2005, 12:14 PM

I noticed you said "in the mountains". If you do not normally drive in the mountains, and now you are driving at higher elevations, a increase in smoke is normal. The air is much less dense, therefore, the fuel cannot completely burn before the turbo supplies additional air, and that is why you are seeing more smoke.

That's my thinking.

It's probably normal...

Merrick
Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Banned

Turbo will compensate for altitude up to 10,000 feet or so with litttle variation in smoke(air is thinner so spools turbo faster), How is your power-check intercooler boots, how's your boost?. Air filter dirty K&N nuff said, fuel filter also as stated(turns black-normal) try changing every 2nd oil change. lift pump sounds ok. Doubt it's overfueling unless you have bigger injectors, or fuel box sounds like lack of airflow. Check for codes with key cycling, hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:12 AM

The air filter is the first thing I would replace at $30.00 it is cheap.
I have see Cummins Genarators start using oil like 1 gal. per day and thought I lost a turbo. I ordered a turbo and we put a manometer on the intake and found that the air filter was bad IT LOOKED LIKE NEW.
A freind of mine brought in a guy to work on his exavator becuse of black smoke and it was a air filter.
I hope this helps Clifford
Old 06-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by TORQUE
air is thinner so spools turbo faster
I do believe this statement is incorrect, or amybe correct in some terms, but not in the way it is used.

in thinner air, the turbo will speed up faster, and attain higher RPM, but, because of the air being less dense, it is not able to compress the air the same.

With 20PSI boost at sea level the HX-35 spins a much slower RPM, and heats the air significantly less, than at 10,000 feet.

At idle, a truck at sea level burns the same amount of fuel, but alot more air, than a truck at high alttitude.

At sea level the air pressure is 14.7 PSI, so the turbo only has to multiply the air 1.4 times, compared to the air pressure at 11,250 feet is only 11.7 PSI, so the turbo has to multiply the air 1.75 times to get the same approximate result. The turbo has to work much harder over 10,000 feet compared to sea level.

That is why I am saying there should be more smoke untill the turbo spools up. Once the turbo spools, the smoke should be nearly non-exsistant,, atleast on paper anyway...

Merrick
Old 06-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Banned

No offence taken, but what I stated was that there is little variance in smoke where he would be pulling, with everything working properly. I doubt he is pulling at 11,250feet, probably more like 3-4,000+ft. If K&N is in stock airbox, restrictor gauge would show how much restriction. His air filter is probably plugged and will show up as more smoke if engine can't get enough air through plugged filter. Turbo will demand more air through, but if filter is too restricted it will smoke even under full boost. Weak air filter will show up under these loaded conditions and higher elevations. But could be one of the other things I stated above also,maybe it was a smoke monster before. Maybe he will chime in with what he found. I stand by my previous statement.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:00 AM

Did anyone check the IAT and the MAP sensors in this case?

They both with cause smoking to occur if they are dirty (sooted). I've pulled mine when I see more smoke than usual and find that the IAT and MAP is black and sooty.

And yes I do have a jake brake... I've seen non-jaked engines soot the two sensors as well... You might take the 5 second and check them...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 AM

Where are these Sensors at i will check them

Actually where i first started really smoking is the first grade headed out of denver colorodo when i checked i was up about 11000 feet there a couple of grades up there that high over there and the rest of it is 7 to 8 thousand feet so i was up there
in the snow pretty good
on the way back through up there it was smokin like a fright train with no load on it but just under acceleration
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 AM

i have made many trips out to colorado with my truck and everytime it smokes alot more than at home, this is normal,altitude does affect it. do you drive in the mountains often if so is it smoking more than the other times...

Quick Reply: Smoking ?