HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

seriously seeking solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seriously seeking solution

About six weeks ago (yes six weeks) we blew the head gasket. This was due to tapping the wire and installing the 4's. The gasket lasted about 2 weeks. After the major cluster fudge that followed after the teardown (broken ARP head studs, poor machining, blown second gasket,ect. ect.) we got the truck back together. We started noticing an intermitten miss/hesitation at idle and when idling up around 1800-2400 rpms. After trying everything under the sun I decided to take it to the dealer. The tech was somewhat young but very eager to work on my truck even with all the aftermarket stuff installed. I manufactured an adapter to intall on the inlet side of the turbo to do a pressure test. They found a major leak in the BANKS HIGH RAM where the long bolt goes through. The cast had cracked causing the leak. They assumed that this fixed the miss/hesitation. All it did was make it a lot less noticeable. They pressure tested both the valves and compression test and found that the compression was low and the leak down test showed to be losing around 45-55% on all cylinders except #4. Wasn't want I really wanted to hear but I'm not going to rebuild just yet. The tech stated he really didn't trust his equipment because the truck runs so good. I explained to him that when we had the head off the cylinders looked good, no verticle scars and we can still see some cross stiching. They concluded it must be the VP 44. After installing a new VP 44 the miss is still there. I pulled the Comp off to eliminate that as well. Anybody have any idea what we should do next to determine where this hesitation/miss is coming from????They are checking the voltage on the mapp sensor today, as well as running a few more tests. I will post the codes I got when I talk to the tech again.

THANKS, KIP
Old 04-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Anyone?????

talked to the tech again and the voltage was good on the mapp sensor. can the apps sensor or the cam sensor be causing such a miss/hesitation????

any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM

What are your fuel pressures and boast at the various RPMs?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
serious solutions

If nothing else fixes the problem it is an arc probem in the electrical somewhere? I can run it to 2800 rpm and only get a few lbs boost . Still haven't found the arc yet. Spent ???? $12,000 plus so far and nada, just garbage.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:10 PM
RCW

The cam sensor is for diagnostics only on your model truck, but the IAT is a good candidate for creating a mystery miss, but then so is the ECT, the CKP, and the MAP.

I know you said you checked the MAP, but also take the time to clean it and the IAT, then see if the miss is gone.

If this does not work, pull your trouble codes with a real Dodge scanner and the problem will jump right out at you.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:12 AM

check valve clearances and conector tubes
Old 04-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

i've tried about all of it guys. I replaced the IAT and Boost sensor (mapp? next to IAT) right before I left for Missouri. Still got the miss. I've run the overhead three times during the re-tourqe of the head. I've also put two sets of Dons injectors along with two sets of connecting tubes from Piers. The truck seems to be running ok but mileage has gone down along with the mystery miss is still there. When we put the new pump on I had the tech come over and help me on the side. Everything went smooth except for the key to the pump was stuck in the gear. He said he's never seen a key stay in the gear before. It was somewhat distorted and when we went back in with the new one, it slid right in without any pressure. He said he's never seen one go in that smooth and later after talking to the tech support guy he said to make sure the key is matched to the pump (which it was). My question is could play between the pump and gear be causing my problem. ?? I mean we're not talking about much of a clearance issue here maybe a couple thousands??? What ECT & CKP are you referring to??? The only new code i have is a 0500 code and haven't found out what it means yet??

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.