HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

RPM's drop and engine light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM's drop and engine light comes on

I went to town this morning for a coffee. I was driving along with the RPM's at about 1700 when all of a sudden the engine falls back to idle and the engine light comes on. I had this happen last week while i was sitting in a parking lot with the engine RPM around 1500 but thought it may have been because i was running it at high speed without the truck moving. Anyways when I got home I cycled the key to see if there were any codes in the computer and this is what it came up with P 0500 P 1693 P done .. Any help would be greatly appreciated. <br><br>2001 cummins automatic with no mods. 202000 km on the OD<br><br><br><br>Thanks<br><br>Jason
Old 01-19-2003, 01:46 PM

Re:RPM's drop and engine light comes on

I did a bit of reading and noticed that the CKS usually causes the tach to drop right off to 0 RPM. Mine just settles right at idle just like if you had pulled your foot off the fuel pedal. <br><br>The 0500 code is metioned on here as a VSS or vehicle speed sensor . Is this sensor located on the transmission?<br><br><br>Thanks<br><br>Jason
Old 01-19-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 0500 code - No vehicle speed sensor signal.<br>check the connector on the trans, make sure there is no corrosion or dirt in the connector<br><br>The 1693 code - DTC present in the PCM or ECM<br>Dignostic code found and stored in computer<br><br>hope this helps<br><br>Rich
Old 01-19-2003, 10:07 PM

So I got the beast in the shop and checked the plug and connection on the VSS. It was nice and clean but i sprayed it and cleaned it up anyways. I will see what happens tomorrow and if its still no good order a new VSS.<br><br>Thanks for all your help everyone<br><br><br>Jason ;D
Old 01-20-2003, 04:39 PM

I put about 300 km on my truck today and nothing went wrong and it ran just fine. I did the racalibration on the APS last night while i was cleaning the VSS aswell.

Got a fuel pressure guage on order for my truck too today. I went with a mechanical guage and was thinking of putting it in the cup holder opening. I figured when you close the cup holder(which i never do) that it will fit nicely in there and you wont even know its there that way i dont have to cut and hack a spot to put it. I was also thinking of putting it in the ashtray as I never use the thing anyways.

Later

Jason
Old 01-20-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Scuba,<br>I was talking to a buddy of mine today and he experienced a problem with his 99 gasser where the speed sensor went bad and his speedo stopped working and some other strange things. He went to replace the tranny speed sensor and when he talked to DC they told him, &quot;Those NEVER go bad. You need the one on the differential.&quot;<br>Yeah, I was surprised too. He said that it cost about 8 bucks, they are the same on every Dodge car and truck, and took 5 minutes to replace. Fixed the whole deal.<br>He said he checked into it further and found that the tranny sensor just tells the computer to pay attention to the differential sensor. It doesn't actually use the tranny sensor for anything useful.<br><br>Chris