HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Rear gears/diff problem, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear gears/diff problem, HELP!!

For the past month or so ive noticed a random knocking (metal on metal) coming from the rear somewhere, occasionally i'd check the driveshaft, brakes etc.

Finally I opened up the diff cover and found that there was a thin ring gear that had come loose and was being banged around in there. Its thin (maybe 1/4"), looks like it was pressed onto the back of the main ring gear at one point. Ive been told by a few that it's an ABS sensor ring, which would make sense cause my ABS light has been on for a while. My BIG question tho, is this: Can I cut this thin gear out, and still drive on it temporarily?

I only drive in town, 45mph and under, no towing. I just need to have my truck back cause its been parked for 2 weeks because i was unsure whether i could drive it or not.

Anyways, can i cut this thing ring out and be able to drive on it for a little while?

heres a pic

click to enlarge
Old 10-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

i believe so

brett
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The absence of the ring won't do harm to your differential - but you won't have ABS on the rear axle.

Do clean out the debris because it can damage bearings,gears and seals.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only time I ever saw that the rear diff had bearings going out! May need to check a little deeper. Any noise in the rear end other than that occasional cluck?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Nope thats it, I found a bunch of small teeth from that small gear in there, and a big tooth or two, nothing showing that I mechanically wouldnt be able to drive it after i chop that ring out. I'm planning on cleaning it out really really good, get all the shavings and grime out of there. Then filling it with new fluid (synthetic would probably be best, huh?) and then taking it for a drive. If theres no vibes or sounds i'll leave it that way till i get paid and can get a new rear, sound good?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Unless you really think you need R ABS , I would not fix or replace [ especially the hole rear end ] , P/U trucks have been running around with out any ABS for many decades .
To help to flush out , tilt the axial one side at a time [ pieces will make there way down the tubes , just like the lube ] make up a way to pressure wash with diesel down each tube , with the axial tilted , all will flow out the open diff .