HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Quick question on my turbo wastegate.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question on my turbo wastegate.

I am in the market for a new turbo, but until then, could anybody tell me how to adjust my stock wastegate on my hx35 to open at about 35? right now it opens at about 22, I know of the boost elbows, but I want to actually adjust the gate to open at higher boost. I see the rod going from the actuator to the gate is threaded, do I need to turn that? Thanks and really appreatiate it. I got the truck apart, and need it back together but I want to fix this first. if I plug the line, my boost will get close to 50psi. Thanks for any help.

Eric
Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boost elbow is the easiest way IMO. I drilled my own and tapped it for an allen set screw. Very adjustable, but with my few mods I can only get about 32 or 33. It will hold those numbers for wuite a while though, not just peak there and drop, but thats fine with me. I have mnine basically shut, but it sounds like yours will need a little opening! I kept ( keep ) an allen wrench in my ashtray in case I needed to adjust it. Very easy to do!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Yeah, I know about the adjustable elbow, I want to adjust my wastegate to open at a higher boost level, and am wondering how I go about doing that. With the elbow it will still open way too early, just wont let as much through.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Hi Eric, to adujst the wastegate you will need shop air and an adjuatable regulator with a guage. Clamp the wastegate hose to the regulator. Shorten the rod to increase your opening pressure. Apply air, when the rod starts to move , that will be where the gate starts to open.I gained about 4psi per full rotation. You may have to remove the actuator to adjust it. Also, apply air so it moves to a point where you can re-attach it to the wastegate lever pin.Not to bad of a job, and better then the elbow.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

That is the whole point of the elbow. To adjust what psi the wastegate opens at. Do what you want, but the elbow will acomplish the same thing.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM

I got the regulator all set up, and was adjusting the wastegate rod, I was able to make the wastegate open at higher psi, but in doing so, that prevented the wastegate from opening fully because the rod is shorter, I set the gate to start opening at 30psi, and at 40psi, it was about 50%open, and thats is far as it will open. If I set the wastegate to start opening at 20psi, it will be about 85% open at 38psi, and thats all the farther it will open also. Confusing, is there something I am doing wrong?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Hmmmm, boost elbow comes to mind! LOL
Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM

The boost elbow delays the opening, but still the waste gate will open once the lower pressure is reached post orifice. By using the wastegate actuator you have a better performing turbo for extended pulls. Boost will continue to build after the wategate begins to open, depending on fueling of course,So its a matter or tailoring the opening to the maximum efeciency of your turbo. It takes a bit of patience. Like you said opening your post.."Your in the market for a new turbo". Your mods definitely are exceeding the capabilities of your stock HX35. Consider upgrading soon. You have the fueling to support an s300. You are on the right track just keep in mind the limitations of the stock turbo. They do crater if you over do it. Choke spec on the stock HX35 is 35 psi.

Last edited by Carp; 08-12-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Missed the choke spec
Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Yeah, Ill probably just have to leave it alone, cause like I said, If I adjust the rod to make it open later, the wastegate will not open all the way once the boost is high enough due to the shorter rod, so I am afraid if I make it open later, it wont dump enough exhaust and the boost will still be too high, cause the gate is only open 50 or 60%.

VZdude, I am not saying you are wrong, I have played with elbows, and just want to try another approach to see if I can make it more effiecient.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Yeah, I get that, just think with the arm adjustment you can delay the opening even more with an elbow and get close to the results you are wanting. Heck its worth a shot at least! I have been wrong before! Won't be the first an probably wont be the last! LOL
Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM

OK I am slightly confused on this topic. My buddies and I have an on going argument about adjusting the WG actuator to provide more boost. It really wont do anything other then reduce the amount the actual WG opens. When you tighten the actuator rod end, all you are doing is reducing the amount of throw that the actuator can provide. You may see higher boost numbers but thats only because the WG cant open all the way. The only real way to get better boos from you WG is to get an aftermarket one, such as the Banks Big Head WG actuator, which will run you about $215.00. That actuator is designed to open at around 35 PSI but you could run into an over boost issue and require a boost fooler. I mean if you really want to boost her up then just take the fitting off the turbo that feeds the actuator and plug it with an 1/8" NPT fitting. That turbo will make about 45 PSI in stock form, but you will need a boost fooler, which you can get for about 60 bucks I think. From what I have read so far, 45 PSI wont damage anything, including the hear gasket. Actually I have heard the head gasket will hold up to 130 PSI, buuuut Im not gonna test that.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other consideration is when the wastegate opens, you'll lose boost from the loss of working pressure to the turbine or at least I did up to a point.
I see a Comp in your signature and it's a boost fooler itself.
In short, you can shorten the actuator rod a coupla turns at a time until your 35psi is attainted.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM

How is my Superchips a boost fooler? I dont understand... When I pluged my waste gate act. hose and made 45# the truck actually ran worse because it was defueling....is there something I am missing?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Bfluri
How is my Superchips a boost fooler? I dont understand... When I pluged my waste gate act. hose and made 45# the truck actually ran worse because it was defueling....is there something I am missing?
It didn't defuel but it was choking out from the backpressure. With the wastegate deactivated all the exhaust has to go through the turbine which leads to a lot of backpressure (Read EXHAUST BRAKE). At 45psi the HX35 is truely inefficient and will only produce extremely hot air so you are losing power even though you aren't defueling. (I would have liked to see the EGTs - but not on my engine)

AlpineRAM
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
It didn't defuel but it was choking out from the backpressure. With the wastegate deactivated all the exhaust has to go through the turbine which leads to a lot of backpressure (Read EXHAUST BRAKE). At 45psi the HX35 is truely inefficient and will only produce extremely hot air so you are losing power even though you aren't defueling. (I would have liked to see the EGTs - but not on my engine)

AlpineRAM
Actually the EGTs only got to 1300 which is 100# hotter then it will ever get under normal conditions. So do you think a Big Head WG actuator will help out and get me some more usable boost?

Quick Reply: Quick question on my turbo wastegate.