HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Pulling Pitman arm off of steerinbg gear box.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling Pitman arm off of steerinbg gear box.

I removed the nut holding the pitman arm to the gearbox and it's washer. That is as far as I can get. I am using a off the shelf pitman puller, tightening it with an air impact wrench, heating the pitman with a Mass torch, whacking on the whole thing with a 20oz ball peen hammer. I've also tried using a tie rod end tool between the pitman arm and the puller. Anybody got any other smart ideas how to get thing to pop loose? Dynamite?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you whacking on the head of the puller tightening bolt with a hand sledge?
That's the way they're designed to be used. I use a very heavy duty puller that I can run down to over 600 ft/lb with my impact, one good hit with the sledge and it's off. Wear saftey glasses.

You can also try hitting both sides of the arm at the same time, hammer in each hand with the puller torqued down.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Infidel is right on the money. The key IMO is getting the puller TIGHT. You need an impact that can really tighten that thing down. Like infidel said, it needs to be capable of around 600ft/lbs. Then one good whack with the hand sledge on the tightening bolt and it should pop off.

Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Yes. I tightened it as much as my impact wrench could go, the bolt was getting hot. And I wacked the thing everywhich way, straight in on the puller bolt, sideways acorss the body of the puller, and all over the pitman arm. It still wouldn't come loose. I talked to a mechanic today and they are going to work on it tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Some factory gorilla on steroids put those Pittman arms on there unbelievably tight!!!
Do a search on "Pittman arm" and you'll see the travails I had with mine! I even tried an 11ton Port-a-power ram and 3jaw puller with no luck... Dealer finally got it with a standard C shaped puller and a STOUT impact hammering away for ~3mins before it finally said "UNCLE!!".
Do as Infidel said, a STOUT puller, a STOUT air impact, and a Big hammer!
Don't overheat that shaft with that torch as you'll be pulling that gear box to replace the seal!

Yes, dynamite DID cross my mind...

Keith
Old 04-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

When I pulled mine off for the lift I actually broke the bolt on the puller mine was on there so tight. Me finally jerry rigged a new bolt in there and used a big wrench with a really big breaker bar to get the leverage needed to tighen the bolt and pop that sucker off. On my buddies 03, his dad just took a pickle fork and pryed down on it while hitting it with a hammer a couple of times and it came right off.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:00 PM

I gave up. I have to have the truck on the road Thursday morning. I found a mechanic to do
it for $300 (the price includes a tow to his shop).

I carry a 2000 lb+ cab-over camper and pull my boat. I will be fishing Copano Bay for
Redfish and Specs for 4 days. Maybe I'll post a picture when I get back.