HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

possible bad wiring harness, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible bad wiring harness, please help

I have a 03 with 50k. The other day while plowing she died with no warning. Full tank of diesel, no gelling or other obvious issues. Turns over perfectly, and everything works fine except the fuel and battery gauge, and it will not fire up. So far the dealer has put 15 diagnostic hours into it. This is going to cost a fortune so I need some ideas to help them out. So far what they have found is there is no connection between the bus port and computer. So there are no codes to go by. They think that it is a bad harness. Is this possible or likely? Are they looking in the right direction? Anything to save me dig time would be great.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 PM
RCW

Not good! You are flying blind.

First thing, do you have a heavy rack of keys on the ignition fob? If so, I would suspect the ignition switch. What makes me go that route is the nature of plowing creates a lot of rough vibration and the keyswitch is a bit anemic anyway. You should never have more than the key and the fob rattling around on one of these trucks.

If that is not the problem then get under the PDC and inspect all the fusible links.

I would then focus on the sockets to the ECM, the companion processor, and the CP3.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 AM

I keep relaying different ideas to them but after 15 hrs they are stuck on the cluster harness. The prob is they have not ordered one yet and cannot tell me for sure if that is it. If it is the ing switch would it still turn over thaee way it does. And yes I have a few keys and it can be touchy when turned back to listen to the radio, I have to play with it a bit to get it to stay on. Thanks for the ideas.