3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical-Front wiring harness help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical-Front wiring harness help needed.

Hey guys...going to install my mopar headlights today.<br><br>The instructions are a little vauge and I want to confirm the wiring jacket colors for the following two circuits.<br><br>1) parking light hot<br><br>2) low beam headlight hot.<br><br>Seems the instructions say to hook into parking light hot. I was thinking of installing a &quot;hidden&quot; SPDT switch between the two hots so I can avoid any inspection problems. (in PA the parking lights must go off with high beams).<br><br>thanks a bunch.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:43 AM

Re:Electrical-Front wiring harness help needed.

[quote author=Hummin' Cummins link=board=17;threadid=12607;start=0#119071 date=1048333328]<br>Hey guys...going to install my mopar headlights today.<br>[/quote]<br><br>WHOOPS.<br><br>I mean FOG LIGHTS
Old 03-22-2003, 07:49 AM

FWIW, I tapped into the pink wire w/ purple srtipes...that's the parking lights. They stay on with hi beam...<br><br>Special thanks to Ton4fun
Old 03-22-2003, 12:02 PM

Ut oh...<br><br>How do you get the wire from the battery into the cab.<br><br>The new instructions have you route the wire through the A pilar frame between the door hinges.<br><br>There are two grommets in this location, one about 3/4&quot;d the other about 1&quot;d. you go out of one and in through the other and fill the cap with RV sealant after the penetrations.<br><br>PRoblem is. I have a coat hanger and am trying to find my way through the frame rail to the forward most hole.<br><br>Any hints/helpful pics?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:03 PM

BTW...<br><br>still looking for that low beam hot wire color.<br><br>Thanks for the parking hot color.<br><br>The instructions say WT or something like that. Abbreviations of course that are up to my interpretation.<br><br>
Old 03-22-2003, 02:32 PM

Since I have the auto, I routed mine where the clutch would have been. I think under the dash, near the feet is the best way to go if possible; just drilled a 1/2 inch hole to run the wire through. The whole process took me a whopping 50 minutes or so, and that was taking my time, but I did have excellent instructions.<br> Pull your drivers side headlight..I do recall a white wire, that's probably your headlight, but why bother? Just do with the parking lights
Old 03-22-2003, 07:19 PM

[quote author=Hummin' Cummins link=board=17;threadid=12607;start=0#119071 date=1048333328]<br>I was thinking of installing a &quot;hidden&quot; SPDT switch between the two hots so I can avoid any inspection problems and switch between them on inspection day. (in PA the parking lights must go off with high beams).<br><br>thanks a bunch.<br>[/quote]
Old 03-22-2003, 08:09 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

HC. After you have your new lights installed please post the results and let us know if there is any improvement in real light.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine has a rubber grommet above and between the clutch and brake pedal, real near the steering shaft. Just looks like a 2&quot; rubber washer with a filler in the middle. A little slice on the thin rubber of that and your wire will pull right thru it.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:38 AM

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=17;threadid=12607;start=0#119550 date=1048455783]<br>Mine has a rubber grommet above and between the clutch and brake pedal, real near the steering shaft. Just looks like a 2&quot; rubber washer with a filler in the middle. A little slice on the thin rubber of that and your wire will pull right thru it. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks. I was looking all over the firewall for a location but was impeded by being close to exhausted. Will look for those at a later date.<br><br>------------<br><br>On the up and up. ;D<br><br>I do have them installed and working. Just coiled the wire and switch under the hood and wire tied it within a plastic baggy until I get the wiring into the cab.<br><br>I tapped both the pink with purple stripe wire that is the parking light hot and the white with Dark green stripe which is the headlight hot. Between them I added a spdt weather protected switch so I can switch between the hot wires and the purple wire which operates the fog lights. This will quickly switch from fog lights being on with the parking lights, low and high beams to just operable with the low beams depending on which state I am traveling in. <br><br>Also lets me pass inspection in PA <br><br>
Old 03-24-2003, 07:41 AM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=17;threadid=12607;start=0#119296 date=1048385377]<br>HC. After you have your new lights installed please post the results and let us know if there is any improvement in real light.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Lots of improvement in light. They dont reach real far ahead of you (I have the horizontal light beam adjusted to 15&quot; above grade height at 20' away) So they are probably pushing 60' or so ahead of you. They also light up the sides of the road quite nicely. They complement the high beams better than the lows as they fill in the dark spot and give an overall glow to the surrounding road.<br><br>To me...definitely worth the purchase price and time spent so far.