HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

"POP" in steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"POP" in steering

I've searched on here, and am still searching, but I'm looking for some answers. When I turn, left or right, I feel a pop in my steering. Just happens once, sounds/feels like it's on the left side. Luke's linked the trac bar about 3 weeks ago, had the drag link, inner tie rod ends replaced today. Hoping it's not the ball joints, thinking it could be the gear box. Any suggestions for localizing the problem?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check your track bar again. I did not have any luck with the luke's link on my track bar. I'm actually going to switch to the lifetime autozone trackbar her this weekend since I don't mind switching it out. I've been driving with the popping long enough. My ball joints are brand new, as is most of the front suspension.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Did you have problems with your Luke's Link rubbing on the diff cover? They told me that might be the problem. Didn't have the pop before the Luke's link.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't have any clearance issues with the diff cover. I'll try to remember to post up when I get the new trackbar in. If that solves the problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A similar noise has recently developed on mine as well. I have the LL and the steering brace. I'm thinking it may be tie rod ends but will continue the search.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
A similar noise has recently developed on mine as well. I have the LL and the steering brace. I'm thinking it may be tie rod ends but will continue the search.
Me too, I have new parts as stated above. They didn't replace outer tie rod ends. Yesterday I was under the front while my son turned the wheel. I could feel/hear a pop. When I placed my hand on the draglink or the pitman arm I could feel it when it popped. Hoping it isn't the ball joints, was told they were a little loose about 3 weeks ago. I'll let you all know if I come up with a solution too.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Anybody looked at your steering shaft yet?

I know it does that when the shaft U joints are shot on Jeeps.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by tchdodg
I've searched on here, and am still searching, but I'm looking for some answers. When I turn, left or right, I feel a pop in my steering. Just happens once, sounds/feels like it's on the left side. Luke's linked the trac bar about 3 weeks ago, had the drag link, inner tie rod ends replaced today. Hoping it's not the ball joints, thinking it could be the gear box. Any suggestions for localizing the problem?

I had that problem recently--at least I think it is the same problem. got Luke's Link about 20k ago, but come to find out they did not install the whole kit. The bushing on the passenger side end of the track bar was shot. $14 from Luke's, now all is fine.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM

UPDATE. Luke's link trac bar fix, new drag link/inner tie rod ends, new front shocks, outer tie rod ends look ok, steering shaft doesn't have wiggle or play. When I reach under the hood, with the truck running, and turn the shaft by hand, the wheels respond immediately, no play. Pop noise is intermittent, does it going left or right, usually in first 1/4 turn, no noise on return to center, just pops once. If I grab the pitman arm, right at the base of the steering box, there is a very slight amount of movement. Still have the issue with the Luke's link contacting the diff cover. Thinking of trying the steering stabilizer next, any other suggestions?