HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

ouch......

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ouch......

I was on my way home from columbus Oh., when i stoped to get a quick bite to eat. when i came out of the resturant i noticed a large amount of oil under neath the truck..... the KDP got me. i got it trailered home and i pulled the plastic cover off and sure enough 2 BIG cracks in the cover, i was wondering has anybody attempted to repair the cracks by themselvs, without buying a new case?. and can you leave the dowl pin out?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Of course, the proper repair is a new case + dowel pin.

I believe it does have a substantial effect on making sure it is located properly.

I've heard of trying to repair the cracks... haven't heard of anything too successful. It would seem to me that the cracks are made when the pin goes between gears - basically splitting the case. The proposition of a good repair that wouldn't cause damage to other components/bearings/etc. without replacing the case seems slim.

That sucks.

Here's pulling for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

i tried to fix the cracks. i have to let the epoxy set for 24 hours. i reckon the worse is that it will start to leak. i just cant afford a new case. i dont like just making the job work. i like to do it right the first time.. money is short... and so is time. im going to see if this repair will last untill i find a decent price on a case. mabe i wont ever have to worry about it again. who knows....thanks for the reply
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It needs the pin, you're going to have to pull the cover.

Worst case I've come across was when a fellow left the pin out and epoxied the crack. Due to the loss of structural integrity, the case split entirely in half.
With nothing left to hold the injection pump except the injection and fuel lines they twisted around the injection pump until the pump itself cracked almost in half.
Took a fraction of a second, was gnarly and very expensive. Even damaged the valve covers where the injection lines passed inbetween.

I know this a worst case scenario but after seeing what I did I would only repair with a new pin and case. Epoxy might get you by in the short term but not doing the repair correctly might just turn around and bite you in the rear.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM

when do fix it, install a 'kdp dowl kit', little tab that goes over the dowl to keep it in there comes with bolts and gasket i belive , about 50 bucks, lots of places sell them ,

www.piersdiesel.com, pretty sure they do

olso anyone that has the older dodge, should install one soon as they can i say
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you epoxy that repair, Id make sure you use something that holds up to 500F and diesel fuel too. Also put some fiberglass on the patch on both sides of the repair to hold it. Make sure to replace any locating dowel pins to minimize load on the repair.
Ideally, Id take this off the truck and at the very least have it welded. You may want to inspect the gears for cracks. check the pushrods too.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM

If you put a new case on it, you don't need the KDP tab, or any other fixes like that. The case is redesigned, with a stepped hole for the pin...it CAN"T come out again.

When I pulled mine apart to put the cam in it, mine was cracked the same way, and the pin was MIA. So I put a new pin and case on it, and all is well!

The way mine is cracked, I could probably fit it and it would be fine. When I get comfortable with the TIG welder, I might!

Chris