HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

NO POWER...Fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO POWER...Fuel???

Hello people, I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 4X4 24 valve Turbo Diesel. I take excellent care of this truck. Ran good and strong until Wednsday Afternoon. It idles just fine. Well...I have noticed it seems to have NO POWER...not for passing...climbing hills...etc... Now, I replaced the fuel filter yesterday...still...no difference. The turbo...seems NOTICIBLY quieter also. It also seems to start a little harder than it used to, It turns over longer!!. NO black smoke. I also checked all clamps...fine....Checked air filter....(NEW)...was fine. Checked all conntectors...fine...also checked to see the waste gate rod for ease of movement...fine. I "Hear" the lift pump run when key is turned on. Fuel in tank is good, and there is no check engine light comming on. Ok....PLEASE any Ideas?? HELP!!!!! Truck ran fine and strong...Is well maintained, with Lucas products. Now it's just so sluggish....no power...I am Bumming out!!

Thanks in Advance!!!!!
David D.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the site.

It is not unusual for a lift pump to make noise and still not put out adequate fuel flow/pressure.

A full time fuel pressure guage is almost a MUST with the VP equiped trucks.

Many a Lift Pump has gone "Tango Uniform" and damaged the Injection Pump due to the loss of excess fuel flow which is used for Pump cooling purposes.

I'd double check fuel pressure while running down the road and go from there.
(Checking pressure at idle, or while reving the engine is not really a good way.)
Old 05-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is your first lift pump replacement in a 1999, then you need to go buy a lottery ticket immediately.

Oh, welcome to the site, noticed this is your first post.

phox
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have exactly the same symptoms/problems (manual 1998.5 24V cummins).

In addition to your post, I'll add that my post lift pump fuel pressure reads around 12 under WOT, 15-16 at idle. My "workaround" used to be press the clutch in or down shift momentarily, but thats not fixing it now.

I'd like to know if anyone has any other ideas apart from the LP/IP, (clean air, clean MAPP, clean fuel filter).

Can the TPS be disassembled and inspected?

Many thanks.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My first bet is the inner cooler boots on my "99" they ahve slipped oof twice causing loss of power, & black smoke.Double check the rubber boots and make sure they are tight.

2nd bet is the IP shot craps due to low FP. Take it to an Auto Zone (or similar) and have them pull codes and see what you got.

Welcome and keep us posted. Fill out your signature so we know what you got.