HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

NO ABS - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO ABS - Help!

Today I started my truck and the "Brake" light was on, along with the "ABS" light... Drove home and jabbed the brakes (wet pavement), the rear end slid over and skidded when I did it. Obviously I have no ABS back there now. The lights are on steady, and all of the other guages are working as advertized...

Any Ideas??? I hope it's simply an ABS sensor in the rear end..

Thanks in advance for any input, I hope someone else has had the same problem that they fixed recently.
Pete
Old 04-24-2003, 08:35 PM

Re:NO ABS - Help!

Mine does that sometimes when it is quite damp out. After things dry up it back to normal. Maybe yours is acting like mine. I still ain't figured it out. I like the feel of the brake pedal when the lights are on. It is high and firm. When things are back to normal the pedal has more travel and the stopping distance seems longer.<br>If you figure it out post the reason.<br>Tom
Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses first and then the sensor is located above the rear differential i believe check the plug and the wires. You might want to take it out and clean it because it is magnetic i believe and it might have some crud on it
Old 04-24-2003, 10:19 PM

That's pretty funny... When I woke up this morning, there was 5 inches of slushy snow on ground. I'd bet that the drive to work is what did it in. It's pretty stormy here and It's been quite &quot;damp&quot; for the past few weeks.

I bet you're right... Thanks for your input. I'll take it out and clean it, dry it and post.

Pete
Old 04-25-2003, 06:06 AM

Well, I second the fuse idea. My ABS was intermittent for months, and then on a cold and snowy day decided to put the lights on for keeps. Finally, I found that the problem was not a blown fuse, but a fuse that had a slight build up on the prongs...wiped them off, and lights are out.<br>george
Old 04-25-2003, 10:53 PM

MnTom,

You had it right on... I drove to Yreka, California today (about 80 miles) and when I drove about 40 miles and things got pretty warmed up, the lights went off. Seems like just moisture from all of the snow we've been getting. i suppose that I still can't rule out the fuse possibilty. Thanks to those who wrote.

I'm glad that's all it was, and you posted with your reply. Ibviously you've experienced the same thing that I did. I'll be watching for anybody else that may have the same trouble.

By the way, the ABS works now. DARN!

Cheers,

Pete
Old 04-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Something else to check. <br><br>There have been many reports of corroded wiring/connectors on the underside of trucks/cars due to the State Highway Department's use of Magnesium Chloride to treat the roads in the winter months.<br>Some have reported wiring totally corroded in half, connectors almost dissolved.<br><br>Gotta get under there and rinse all that stuff off.