HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

New Fuel Pressure Sensor, Still Won't Run!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fuel Pressure Sensor, Still Won't Run!

I replaced the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, and the truck is still exibiting the following symptoms: VERY LOUD injector noise, no power, hard to start, quits running after a few minutes, surges when accelerator pedal is released, throwing DTC P0191 P0192 P0193 (I have not cleared the codes, but no new codes have appeared either). Voltage and resistance checks at sensor harness check out OK. What's next? Check lift pump pressure? Hope this is not the injection pump saying an expensive goodbye!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM

my truck is doing the exact same thing. I took the sensor from a Known running truck and put it in mine and it runs fine. Are you sure you have a good sensor?? a new one from a dealer is $575
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Update

Sensor was from Cummins, just over $200.00 with tax. Based on info from other posts on the forum, the codes I could read using the keyswitch method are not all the codes that may be in the PCM, and the Pressure Regulator on the CP3 is also suspect. Truck was towed to dealer today for full diagnostic.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 05CTD2500
Sensor was from Cummins, just over $200.00 with tax. Based on info from other posts on the forum, the codes I could read using the keyswitch method are not all the codes that may be in the PCM, and the Pressure Regulator on the CP3 is also suspect. Truck was towed to dealer today for full diagnostic.
that's what you should have done to begin with, internet diagnostics may help, but sometimes not very accurate....i personally would not try to diagnose a problem unless i had acess to the vehicle, ( i had been in the auto repair field for a long time) good luck with the fix. keep us posted
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Bull

On the contrary,INTERNET DIAGNOSTICS ARE FAR MORE ACCURATE THAN MOST DEALERS DIESEL SERVICE. MOST. MUCH MORE BROADER VARIETY OF EXPERIENCED,BEEN THERE DONE THAT [ADVISERS] TO RELATE TO.
P.S DON'T FORGET TO ADD 15% TO CUSTOMERS BILLS FOR SHOP TOWELS AND [SUPPLIES] AS MY LOCAL dodge DEALER DOES[AS IF 200% PARTS MARKUP WASN'T ENOUGH] MR. FIVE STAR SERVICEMAN
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
if it's so accurate , why doesn't it run????????
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Easy boys,

If you think going to a dealership is the way, then hop all over it. Sometimes that is the only way, time constraints, etc.

On the other hand, never be shocked at the incompetent mechanics you might face, or the absurd bills you will be presented.

Caveat Emptor

As for me, keep right on diagnosing boys, at the very minimum it teaches the rest of us something.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM

So elucho02, what your saying is that you are pi**ed because you dont know how to work on your truck so you rely on everybody else's knowledge which has worked out to your benefit. Hmm, makes alot of sence. Good luck with your next repair.

As for 05CTD, if you are getting both of those codes, try disconecting the sensor and see if only one is active. You will have to clear the codes but as soon as you turn on the ignition it should log a code, you might have to crank on the engine. But if you have it disconected you should get code P0192, then if you can cross the terminals, (not sure how the conector looks) but if you can short the two wires together. If it is a 3 wire sensor then one is a common, ground, and probably +5V sensor wire. Do you have any other codes for any other sensors? But if both the codes become active with the sensor disconected then disconect the ECM engine harness. A whole bunch of codes will become active, but if both those codes are still active then you need an ECM. If not, if all the codes are for sensor low or open, then it is in the harness. Let me know.

Peter
Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VFIMechanic
So elucho02, what your saying is that you are pi**ed because you dont know how to work on your truck so you rely on everybody else's knowledge which has worked out to your benefit. Hmm, makes alot of sence. Good luck with your next repair.

Peter
Ok, that was pretty much uncalled for! My 2 cents! No one can know it all. Any one of us can benifit from these discussions and learn a lot, help others learn and YES even diagnose the problem. In most cases I think a lot better than the dealer "techs", as we are passionate about our trucks. There is a time and place for the dealer too, just not quite as much as they would like us believe. I for one will keep learning here and every place I can, so PLEASE, can we all keep contributing?
Rant over!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM

YEA, YOU MUST BE RIGHT!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
if it's so accurate , why doesn't it run????????
...that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!

.....so what part are we going to throw at it next???
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM

The replacement Fuel Pressure Sensor did fix the problem. I am somewhat embarrased to admit it, but all the dealer was able to find was that I had pushed one of the pins on the harness, either when I was installing the sensor, or when I was attempting to determine why it seemed like the sensor didn't fix the problem! The amount the dealer charged for diagnosis ($100) was less than the amount I saved by buying the part from the local Cummins parts place instead of dealer ($200 vs $400+) Thanks to all who helped out!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM

VFIM: I used the diagnostic method from the factory service manual to determine that the sensor had failed. It was just my carelessness/clumsyness/unfamiliarity with diesel engines that was causing the problem to continue after replacing the sensor. Truck runs fine now. Thanks again for all the valuable info, everyone!