HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Jump Starting (Boosting)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jump Starting (Boosting)

Well, I just went out to start the truck and there wasnt enough juice to turn the beast over....

This is kind of a dumb question, but I have never jump started a vehicle with 2 batteries. Does it matter which battery I connect the jumper cables to?? and/or is there a recommended jump starting procedure??

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:55 PM

I would jump it on the driver side battery where both batterys come together as the supply you are instilling would have a closer shot at the starter, but also it would work on both sides if you could not get to it because of a parking situation, Goodluck,,, Rick
Old 01-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You went to school for 6 years and don't know the answer?

Ok, serious now.

They are hooked up in parallel, so it shouldn't really matter.

Just to make the shortest distance between two points, I'd hook up on the battery closest to the starter.

Just make sure the vehicle doing the jumping has a good battery and good alternator.
Might want to rev the engine on the jumper as well.

phox
Old 01-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

It does not matter which battery you connect to, just the same procedure as a normal jump. Pick a battery and attach the red(+) clamp to the battery, then attach the black (-) to a good spot on the engine. The last connection is always the neg (-) and away from the two battery's, this way if you get a few sparks, they are away from the explosive fumes of the battery.
Also a tip for anyone that might JUMP START someone. Trucks and cars now days are managed by several on-board computer systems. Thees computers are very SENSITIVE to voltage fluctuation and spikes. When you connect to someone Else's battery, you are also connecting to there potential problems. Unless they have just left their lights on and ran down the battery, there is usually a problem in there electrical system that has resulted in the dead battery. Bad alternators, voltage regulators,computer software issues, and many more items can leave you with an electrical problem. What is worse is out trucks regulate the alternator Thur the PCM, this unit is very expensive to replace and will leave you kicking tumble weed if it goes out. Just think about it before you offer your services for a jump.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 PM

Very very true what yknot has stated,if you are a kind person and usually try to help the stranded from time to time it is a recommended item to install on your truck a battery disconnect on one or both and jump them from a out of loop battery to keep youself safe. Goodluck,,, Rick
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
You went to school for 6 years and don't know the answer?

Well actually I pretty much knew the answer...just wanted to see what ya'll thought....thanks guys !!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:33 PM

Whenver I jump somebody,, I just pull up,, shut my truck off,, connect the batteries, let them start their vehicle,, disconect the batteries, then start my truck.. This keeps my vehicle pretty much isolated from any of their problems,, and with 1,000amps available with the truck off, I haven't ran into a Gasoline powered vehicle I couldn't jump.

Merrick
Old 01-29-2004, 03:38 PM

Looks like I'll be spending a couple of hundred bucks of my bombing cash on batteries...