HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Intercooler boots

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler boots

Just bought some new Piers intercooler boots to replace my old ones which are cracked. Bought the silicone type with the spring clamps. I called Piers and asked how do you tighten the clamps? Since they are spring loaded, I would have thought there would be some approved method such as tightening to half spring compression or something like that. No such luck. They said it's all done by feel. Seems to me that there should be a better way with a more scientific basis to it than feel. Anyone with any better ideas?
Also I have read they're a PITA to install, if I'm not running much boost (only about 20 psi) can I lubricate them with silicone or WD40 or something and not have them blow off?

John
Old 11-12-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lubed mine up with hairspray. I also removed all the plumbing and started the installation at the intercooler and worked up from there.

Don't know about the clamps. I re-used my old ones.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Silicone worked great for me, didn't take anything apart.
I just tightened until the spring was all the way compressed.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, thank you very much!

Whoever it was (infidel) who recommended the silicone spray, I thank you. I put silicone spray on the boots, and everything went together real easy. Just hope everything stays together. I built everything as an assembly, and then put it on the intercooler. Did it that way so I had something of reasonable size to pull and push on. Worked great. Tightened the springs up to about half way, I thought that way if the boots slackened off, the springs would take up the slack. If I get any other response to my original question, I can always change the setting.

Strange as it may seem, the old boots had just some small cracks, but when I took it out with the new boots on, I gained another 2 psi. Could that extra boost have come from the colder weather?

Last time I checked the boost it was 70F, this time it was 40F. Could the colder weather have given me the increase?

John
Old 11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Thank you, thank you very much!

Originally posted by John H
Tightened the springs up to about half way, I thought that way if the boots slackened off, the springs would take up the slack. If I get any other response to my original question, I can always change the setting.

Strange as it may seem, the old boots had just some small cracks, but when I took it out with the new boots on, I gained another 2 psi. Could that extra boost have come from the colder weather?

Last time I checked the boost it was 70F, this time it was 40F. Could the colder weather have given me the increase?

John
You should tighten them until the spring is stacked tight, then back off a turn.

The extra boost is probably weather related.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've run across boots that looked fine but when under high pressure the boots expanded, cracks opened up and dumped air. About the only way you can find it is to pressurize the intake with an air compressor, can't build up enough boost without the truck moving.