HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

INCREDIBLE Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCummings- When I look at the frontend, the track bar is longer than the drag link, and at a slightly different angle than the drag link. Simple geometry tells you that if you have the two bars at the same length and angle, as your suspension compresses, your wheels will track perfectly straight, and this will eliminate bump steer and death wobble. I am going to do a thourough(sp) examination tomarrow, and we'll see what moves.

I know is it scared the **** out of me right when it happened. The 2nd time wasn't as bad. Anybody know where to get just the shock part of the SkyJacker steering stabilizers? I will just make my own brackets.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Crimedog
MCummings- When I look at the frontend, the track bar is longer than the drag link, and at a slightly different angle than the drag link. Simple geometry tells you that if you have the two bars at the same length and angle, as your suspension compresses, your wheels will track perfectly straight, and this will eliminate bump steer and death wobble. I am going to do a thourough(sp) examination tomarrow, and we'll see what moves.
You are right,,, but what is happening is the wheels try to turn left for a quick second, and because the track bar is worn, the axle moves when it shouldn't and allows the wheels to move back straight, and coupled with other worn parts, that's where the wobble starts.

Tires turn left,, axle move that direction, and when teh axle moves, the wheels will turn. So the tires are turning left and right quickly because the axle is moving left right,, the force of each other part aggravetes itself.

Make sense? or am I off the wall and out in left field?

Merrick
Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 PM

I see exactly what you are saying
Old 03-04-2004, 08:35 PM

The best recommendation is to get the Lukes Link AND the urithane bushing for the other end of the trac bar. I doubt the steering stabilizer will help out at all in this situation.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation on "DW" Merrick.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:14 AM

Hey, No Problem. I just wish I could be a bit more clear about it.

Maybe this is what it looks like?

.\---\
../---/
.\---\
../---/
.\---\
./---/
.\---\
.|---|
.|---|

If you could imagine it, the pictures are of the front axle and tires.
Start from teh bottom and work your way up as if looking at "Frames" of a movie picture.

The first picture represents normal cruise, the * represents just the right bump.

When you hit the bump, it's not for the fact that the axle goes up, and causes a bump steer condition, but the fact that only one tire hit a bump, and since you have a loose or worn front end component (usually trac bar) the wheels turn that direction,, in the case pictured, left, then the tires try to turn back very quickly, but because the axle was able to move, the tires turn back much faster than inteneded, and over-countersteer.

As you can see in the picture, usually DW will start with just a slight left/right motion of the wheels, and quickly progress into forcing the axle to move left/right also.

Hopefully I'm a little bit clearer...
Merrick

EDIT: The periods next to my "presentation" are for proper spacing of the frames, since UBB code ignores my spacing when typing up a message.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM

i agree you probably have some worn suspension parts but i have experenced this on a brand new truck missing steering stabilizer because it was bent by a rock and was waiting for part. id inspect all suspension and steering componets for wear and replace them and buy new steering stabilizer. my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Does the track bar death wobble affect 4x4 trucks only, or all trucks 2x4 and 4x4 alike?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:17 PM

i had that happen on my 98 dually as well....only happened when i happen to catch a bump in the road just right...definitely causes your heart to beat just a few ticks faster!