HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Hot engine wont start (newbee)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot engine wont start (newbee)

Hot engine wont start;

Its on a 1992 CTD in a dodge 4x4.

It starts on first crank when cold 40* (5*c) and runs beutifully,very smooth,regular power,20 mpg.

BUT when I shut it down warm,it will not start,it cranks very quickly,but will not start,to get it going again,I must pour a water bottle over the injector,then it starts great and runs great,a sniff of start fluid works as well.any Ideas would be greatly apreciated

BTW,a great site,and a relief to find it.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the wires on the injection pump for being loose or coroded.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:13 PM
RCW

I think your problem is likely the flex hoses down where the intake and return fuel lines come from the tank and hook to the engine, or back where the tank is connected to the lines at the intake. I suspect they are leaking a bit of air from being old. What will happen is the hot fuel then has minute air bubbles and the pump temporarily loses its ability to pump the thin fuel.

It is not a good idea to put water on a warm or hot injection pump. That will create rapid contraction and score the pump so that it will begin to have difficulty with hot starts.

You did not state your mileage, but a worn injection pump will also experience hard starting when hot.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:37 PM

Thanx guys,the milage is 141000 miles,and I did a bunch of reading on this forum before I posted,wich prompted me to check that the connection to the soliniod was indeed good..

I believe its probably the pump,because it does this every time ie: it always starts great cold,it never starts hot,but what threw me off was the fact that it always starts with starter fluid or by pouring water on the pump.

is there a diagram somwhere online that describes where and what the various components of the pump do?

seeing how I will most likely have to replace the pump,I will head over to the 1st Generation forum to inquire as to what I should be looking for specifically,I plan to "build" this motor somewhat like I have read on this site.thanx again.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:23 PM

starter fluid
Mr B
Old 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM
RCW

FrankB is correct about starting fluid being bad news. It breaks the upper edge of the top compression ring, also known by a lot of older diesel mechanics as the "fire ring." What happens is it causes a rapid inverse twist when it flashes, and will round off the ring causing low compression.

You are not so prone to starting fluid damage on the 92, as your top ring is lower on the piston than on the post 96 engines, but it will eventually be damaged all the same.

Check with http://www.wentlanddiesel.com or with http://www.adiesel.com/pumps.php for a replacement pump. You will hear stories of rebuilt pumps being worse than new, that is nonsense. Get a rebuilt from a good rebuilder that is also a Bosch authorized repair center, and it will be better than new as it will have all the known updates. You should expect to pay around $400, plus freight for a good rebuilt pump, exchange.

Here is a reference for a site with some information about the VE pump: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw...i/injpump.html

Bosch books are available, and here is one distributor and an example of what they offer: http://www.normas.com/SAE/pages/BOSCHTECH-06.html

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2004, 12:19 PM

Piers sometimes has good proces on VE pumps. He is also a good source of info.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:08 PM

Thanks RCW for the specifics on using starter fluid.

I used to live in Winnipeg, MB where it got down to -40F in the winter time. We used to "race" old gassers on the ice but, it was usually hard to start them, especially when they sat out all the time. We used started fluid - and boy did we look for other engines a lot of the time.....

Starter fluid is a good cleaner - if you can stand the ether..
cheers Frank.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:20 PM

I had a problem w/ my 92 where there would be power at the fuel soleniod for about 30 seconds after I would turn the key on, but then it would loose power and wouldn't start. Check all the fusible links just underneath the drivers side hood hinge there is probably one that is burnt.