HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help Little Brother And Friends!!!!please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:00 PM
f@t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Little Brother And Friends!!!!please.

OK FIRST..HELLO everyone! Second..I have a question .
but first,I have a dodge thank you very much! And I know this is THE Dodge board.BUT I have a question that a friend has asked me to come to you with.And right now,she is a damsel in distress,so I said I would go right to the best.
She needs to get ahold of a diagram that will show the distributoe firing order for a ..I know FORD Bronco 2,1990
Please can /will anyone help me obtain that info for her someplace on the internet so I can print it or tell her over the phone? Or can it be even be comunicated to her by myself over the phone to her??
Sorry jack! I hope no one gets mad at me for asking this question,but why waste my time looking for info I might not be able to find or talking to those who might not even know what they're talking about.Instead I just go where I KNOW people know what theyre talking about and my chances are good in getting to the info I would need.
THANK YOU!! in advance for your expedient reply on this..she is stuck in the middle of nowhere so Im am anxiously awaiting your reply!! f@t
ps..hope all the ponies here are doing great.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know what engine? I think they used a 2.9 or a 3. something and Im not sure ther the same.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 PM
f@t

hi! yes,she told me it is a 2.9..any ideas?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:49 PM

Did a google search and found this. Hope it's right:

starting to the left of the top cap screw location it goes 4 2 5 3 6 1 in a clockwise direction.
and on the block:
3 6
2 5
1 4
Old 02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
f@t

THANK YOU!!! VERY MUCH..she will be really happy to get this.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:48 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
The firing order is normally cast into the manifold. Some distributer caps have #1 cylinder marked on the cap. Not all caps unfortunately.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
f@t

thanx! Also,when I talked to her this AM and gave her the directions abouve,she asked me if i would post to you guys the problem..
It is firing and turning over,but it will not start.distributer cap has been replaced along with plugs and ignition modual has been replaced .
She says that when you turn it over,the smell of gas is extremely strong and when the old plugs were pulled,they were covered in gas.the coil has been checked and it is firing.Seems to be ok fromthe dist. to plugs.
any thoughts from you would be GREATLY appreciated!!! help
Old 02-20-2004, 11:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Explain what you mean by "firing". Does this mean that there is a spark from the end of the HT wire or do you mean that it is trying to start? If it was running before why is she concerned about firing order? If there is a spark from the end of th HT wire what color is it and is it a fat spark or a thin weak one?
It sounds to me like it is flooded. Has anyone checked if the butterfly valve on the choke is stuck closed? If it is just flooded then remove the sir filter, jam the butterfly valve open, hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it over for a while. If this is all it is it will eventually start but with lots of black smoke and running rough for a while.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
f@t

She says both..there is a blue spark that knocked the crapp out of her and it tries to start.She sprayed ether into the throttle body and it still wouldnt start.she says the B. valve seemed toi be working properly...The choke flap she says is opening and closing right..should I have her look more closely at the spark?.To answer your q. about the firing order...Cuz she pulled all the wires off.she knows now that its one at a time!!!About two weeks prior,it would start early in the AM and when first started..it would run very rough ,cut out and die several times until warm,then it seemed to run normally.Any other things you want me to have her do or check? Im going to stay online and wait for your reply...Ive got her on another end also...thank you so much!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:01 PM

It sounds to me like it's still not firing in the right order and it's flooded.....
Old 02-20-2004, 01:08 PM

I'm starting to get confused, a choke with a throttle body?? Is this fuel injected or not? Your "runs rough until warm" statement sounds like something fuel related. Make sure the ignition is right and then let's go from there.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:15 PM

Oops. I should have asked if this was a carburated engine or fuel injected. My comments applied to an 'old fashioned' engine that has one of those thingamjiggers called a carburettor.
I agree with amartinson, check that the firing order is correct first. Remember to tell her to check the direction of rotation of the rotor to make sure the she is doing it in the correct order. To do this pull the distributer cap off and have someone just bump (NOT crank) the starter while she watches to see which way the rotor turns. Ask her if it is backfiring thru the intake when it is trying to start.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 PM
f@t

bear with us here guys..you got two of us trying to do this who might not know the proper names..
It is fuel injected.
she pulled the big black hose off from the filter to the injector system???and she assumed that the round brass flap inside was the butterfly valve...what she thinks is the throttle body??? She is stuck and there is no one else to help she is doing this all on her own with me in the middle talkin to you..
oh and she wants to know..on that firing order..is that left to right..as she is standing in front of the truck looking at the motor right?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:28 PM

I only got that off a search, but #1 is always at the front of the engine, I believe. So it would be as you face the engine looking under the hood, not sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
f@t

No it isnt back firing at all she says.she is going to do as you suggested on the firing order..anything else I need to tell her while she is doing this?
see at first,I thought it sounded l;ike a fuel pump or filter problem..but she checked this and it isnt.Does it have a fuel pressure regulator? and if so,where is it and how would she see/know if its bad????
guys,I am so gratefull for this help..and she is too!

Quick Reply: Help Little Brother And Friends!!!!please.