HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP! I'm leaving and now NO trailer lights!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
HELP! I'm leaving and now NO trailer lights!

I am leaving tomorrow for my trip with the TT and was hooking up today. I see I have no trailer lights. So I go through the check to see whats up but everything is in place. Then I remember of someone one on this site just had the trailer relay go bad under the hood. So I checked that. I even swapped it with a working one. I pulled apart the plug connector on the back of the truck and still NO power, to any of them! What gives? I have ran out of things to look for and I'm trying to leave. If I cant find this out fast then I have to cancel! Is there something I missed? Is there a connector or other fuse that isnt described? Last thought...I checked the female plugs where the relay goes with a tester but I have only power to one when the running lights are on. If your standing on the drivers side looking at the fuse box, its the spot towards the front of the truck. Is this right? HELP!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:HELP! I'm leaving and now NO trailer lights!

If you do not get it working right then just run off of truck tail and signal with temp. wires,I have had to do this to get home,Goodluck Rick Sounds like you coverd everything, I have had breaks in wires to trailers caused by something chewing thru them,I know your tight on time,so I would just run the temps to get by.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:27 PM

A buddy of mine has a Dodge 1500 the year is about 1997 or so, he had the same thing on his. I found a relay in the frame in the left hand side in the back it has a 15 amp fuse up in the engine compartment on the left hand side by the wheelwell the fuse was blown. It is by its self in the wire harnes.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:18 PM

Katoom, is it just the trailer lights?? I had a problem a while back, I either had head lights and no marker lights, or no head lights and had marker lights. We where at Gulf Shores Steamers and had to drive back to the camp ground, so I chose head lights and ride the brake pedal back to the camp grounds. Next morning I replaced the head light switch and all was well, don't ask me, but it worked. My truck must not like Royal Reds and Corona
Old 12-17-2003, 08:31 PM

I had a simular problem this past summer. I replaced the plugs and wiring and lights also, Then in frustration I just took it for a quick drive arount the block and all worked great. Appearently wasnt getting a good ground from the trailer to the truck. The camper had been sitting over the winter.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:21 PM

dsldan,I too have came across your remedy,as some guys and or intallers do not hook up the whit ground wire and rely on the hitch to ball for the ground and after some non use it will not ground correctly and like you said, around the block and regrind on the ball and walla! Ground is restored, Goodluck Rick.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:28 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks all for the quick response! But I found it. In the box under the hood there is TWO (not one) fuses that control the trailer. In my mad craze to figure out what the problem was I over looked the fuse. I was to busy switching relays and chasing wires. Replaced the 40a fuse and all is back. ;D ;D ;D Thank you again for the quick help!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 06:54 PM

Katoom, I guess it has bit me again. I went to the shop this morning to finish up some pumps, felt it was too dark to not have my lights on, pulled the switch and they came on, but I noticed a "fuuny" smeel and started looking, I noticed in my mirrors that my fender lights where out, now I don't have any freaking running light, just head lights and brake lights. Guess what I'll spend my Christmas day doing. I just hope it's the head light switch AGAIN, because there ain't no fuses blown