Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer batteries, leaving it plugged in for months on end.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer batteries, leaving it plugged in for months on end.

My wife and I are going to be campground hosts for the next three months and the camper will be plugged in continuously for that time. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything except maybe have to check battery acid (water) level every few weeks or so. Well I was talking to a guy and he said the batteries should be disconnected and let the converter handle things. To me this has got to be rediculious, one thing what happens if the electricity gets unplugged for a few days while we are gone there is no way for the fridge to convert over to propane. Secondly, to me that would be certain death for the converter from overheating working so hard. I have been camping for 25 years. Now I'am not an expert in camping but I think this guy is full of hog wash, what do you guys think, Yes or no.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 AM

I agree on the Hog wash. I leave mine pluged in all the time, in storage and on the road. My 5er is an 01 and it has the orginal battery in it. Just check the acid level several times a year. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Hog wash. Just check the water level.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Agree, just keep an eye on the water level. I have three batteries in mine, no problems in almost 3 years.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Just leave it plugged in. The batteries also act as a filter, cleaning up any noise or blips in the output of the converter, and electronics like the control board to the fridge are sensitive to things like that.

If I recall, the directions in my converter/charger said that it will not overcharge the batteries if left on constantly, but they will continue to loose water. If you are parked permenantly, they suggest installing a battery simulator...

Anyhow, for two months, just leave it plugged in, and check the water...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Re: Trailer batteries, leaving it plugged in for months on end.

Originally posted by bluebull
My wife and I are going to be campground hosts for the next three months and....
Where are you hosting Ron? Local?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL.....that is BS for sure! Every converter I have seen automatically switches over to trickle charge to keep the batteries charged up and fast charges as required....I leave my batteries connectted from April to November and have never had a problem. My batteries definitely act as a voltage stablizer and filter when connectted.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suggest that, if you're going to be plugged into shore power full time, ensuring that you have a converter that's "battery friendly" is good insurance. Many converters have a single output that can boil a battery dry pretty quickly. Our last 2 5th wheels have had the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower converter with the Charge Wizard accessory. This system provides boost, normal, float and desulfation modes that are automatically controlled by the Charge Wizard depending on system use and condition. Our 5th wheel stays plugged into shore power 24/7 while in covered storage, and I'll add water 2-3 times per year to the 2 each 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

Rusty
Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Trailer batteries, leaving it plugged in for months on end.

Originally posted by Fueling around
Where are you hosting Ron? Local?
We are campground hosts at Lake Ashtabula, East Crossing. It's a nice family oriented campground, if you get the chance come on down.

Thanks to everyone for your response. After camping for 25 years and never having any problems I figured he was full of it but it never hurts to check with people in the know.

Thanks again, Ron
Old 05-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Hog wash. Just check the water level.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
J&L

Rusty has a good point. The last two 5ers I've had if the batteries were left plugged in for 2-3 months, in storage, they would sulfate and when that happens they won't hold a charge . If your converter has the ability to not over charge then you are OK. I'm speakin' from experience.............JIM
Old 05-20-2005, 02:14 PM

BS on the hog washers...

My truck camper comes with a battery disconnect switch, and I was told by the manufacturer to use it when plugged in any length of time. Everything will run without problem direct off the converter.

That's why you guys have to keep adding water every month or so- your battery chargers are NOT smart enough (unless they are aftermarket) to trickle down the charge- it boils 'em up.

To each his own...
Old 05-20-2005, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, HERE is the information on the Charge Wizard accessory that is used with the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 9100 series power converters. Note that, among other features, the Charge Wizard invokes a 13.2 volt float setting specifically to prevent boiling the batteries dry when power is connected while the unit is in storage.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2005, 08:48 PM

I guess the summary is to check the manual that came with your RV and see if you have a converter/charger unit that recommends battery disconnect or not.

My slide-in doesn't even have a battery

-John
Old 05-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
I would suggest that, if you're going to be plugged into shore power full time, ensuring that you have a converter that's "battery friendly" is good insurance. Many converters have a single output that can boil a battery dry pretty quickly. Our last 2 5th wheels have had the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower converter with the Charge Wizard accessory. This system provides boost, normal, float and desulfation modes that are automatically controlled by the Charge Wizard depending on system use and condition. Our 5th wheel stays plugged into shore power 24/7 while in covered storage, and I'll add water 2-3 times per year to the 2 each 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

Rusty
Like Rusty I too upgraded to a PDI coverter with the Charge Wiz. I have added water to top off batteries twice in 2 years. These units are top shelf if you want to leave your rig plugged in 24/7/365. BTW 2002 5r, still on the 2 12 volt batteries that came with the unit.

Quick Reply: Trailer batteries, leaving it plugged in for months on end.