HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help! with fuel delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! with fuel delivery.

About a month ago I replaced some lines that were broken between the tank and the frame. I still haven't gotten the truck to run right after that. It idles fine, even if you rev it it's fine unless it's under load. If it is under load it spits, sputters, misses and to even keep it going it you have to hold the pedal down and use the brake to control your speed. So needless to say, I haven't been driving it. It's sucking air somewhere. The lines are new from the filter to the tank, I even added a Holley blue at the tank. I planned on replacing the lift pump, but after some advice from others I left it there. Now if I try to bleed the system, open the return line banjo fitting at the top of the filter, it bubbles, then gives solid fuel, then about 5-10 seconds starts bubbling again, then no fuel, just air for about 5 more seconds then repeats. It never stops the cycle. I've checked out the lines plenty times, I checked all the fittings, added tracer dye to the fuel to see if any was leaking, I can't find ANYTHING. It's driving me nuts. It got better with the Holley installed, but its still undrivable. I'm about to say screw it and just gut it and start over. Please help!

Thanks,
Ian
Old 11-07-2004, 01:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Looks like the fuel pickup in the tank or the quick connect at the tank to me- no matter how many pumps- they won't change air they get into diesel. (wouldn't it be nice )
With tracer dye you won't see a pinhole that will just let air in- like in the o-ring on the quick connect. The hole will just open under suction. What you can try is to test the truck with the tank completely full- right up in the filler neck just before overflowing. If it works fine then you know that it's for one of the two above stated reasons.

AlpineRAM