HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

help diesel spewing out

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help diesel spewing out

Well, I jumped in my truck to do some last minuet shopping for my wife. It took a long time to turn over and it finally did. I then drove to the store. When i got out of the truck i smelled diesel. I looked under my truck and it looked like i was poring a pitcher of diesel on the ground. I quickly jumped back in her and took it back to the house( i know that was stupid). Once i got it to the house i popped the hood and saw that the fuel was coming from the fuel heater wires that come out of the top of the fuel filter. What do i do about that? Is it an easy fix or is it something i'm going to have to take it to a shop for? Someone please help me?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've seen that once with an early 24 valve. It was aggravated by a new lift pump I had just installed, that had higher pressure than the old one. It took a new fuel heater assembly to fix the problem, but it was easy to change. You might as well get a new filter too, because the filter canister has to come off the heater/mount.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you say fuel heater assembly do you mean the internals in the top of the fuel filter or a new top to the fuel filter?

The reason i asked is that i pulled the top part of the fuel filter and i can see the heating element and were there looks to be wear on it. Can you just replace the heating element or is it a whole new top part?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by redbeast
When you say fuel heater assembly do you mean the internals in the top of the fuel filter or a new top to the fuel filter?

The reason i asked is that i pulled the top part of the fuel filter and i can see the heating element and were there looks to be wear on it. Can you just replace the heating element or is it a whole new top part?
When I replaced one (a few years ago) it was the whole top part that the filter canister attaches to.