HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP - 07 Mega died in middle of Wyoming!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think your problem is fuel related.

1. Have you tossed in some anti-gel in the tank?

2. To check the lift pump, open the fuel filter drain and bump the starter with the key to get the lift pump running.
You should get a steady stream of fuel out of the drain hose.

If you get it going please note that it is extremely cold as soon as you cross into Alberta.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

Currently in Calgary it's -25C/-15F. With the windchill it's -38C/-36F & nearly a foot of snow in the last 24hrs.

Good luck.... Joe
Old 12-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try changing the correct sensor this time. I'm tellin ya that's the problem.
The CAMSHAFT sensor is located BEHIND the CP3 pump. It's a PITA to get to and very hard to see. I believe the sensors are the same, so just leave the crankshaft sensor where it is and put the one you took off in place of the cam shaft sensor.
We will wait to hear your outcome.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by supercharged_hp
From this site, it is my understanding that they just have a blank plate over the place you are talking about on the common-rail trucks. The one mentioned in this article:

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/articles/cps/ckp.htm

The "CPS" is on the front of the engine under the CP3 and runs off the crankshaft of the common-rails from what I understand... can anyone clarify this?

What year engine is in that link ?
All I know is this...I have had the engine out and torn down to a bare block with nothing on it. The camshaft is BEHIND the cp3 .
Old 12-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the crank is in the front. cam is back of or under the cp3. crack a line to see if you are getting fuel just to narrow down the problem
Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM

exact-o-mundo. what I was trying to say. you have to change the right sensor to correct your cam sensor code. and if your cam sensor is totally gone. the ECM will not fuel at all so don't really bother trying to check for fuel yet. ECM has no idea where the engine is in is cycle if it does not see the cam sensor. so it will not fire injectors period. and as they say it not easy to get to behind the fuel pump. but its doable with the right assortment of small hand tools, extensions, needle nose plyers even to get in there to pop it out. after the bolt is out.

Now I don't know if thats your whole problem, but you had the cam code now the truck is dead. start with the cam sensor. and go from there. is my suggestion.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Where abouts are you stuck in Wyo.?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Sure hope he reads these posts before getting it towed and blowing more $$$
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

Hey guys, I got the sensor changed in the blowing snow, laying on my back in front of the Dodge dealership with tools from the local home depot lol. And that sensor is an absolute PITA to change, its in the worst place to try to get your hands.

The old cam sensor is not gouged up or anything from a loose tone ring, but it did have some oil deposits on it. I left my brand new sensor on the crank and slapped the old crank sensor into the CPS's spot.

The bad news is, its reacting exactly the same way, turns over nicely but just coughs on every revolution.

Strokethis, we are in Rock Springs, just up the road from you.

StealthDiesel, I will run back to the dealership tomorrow and give that a try with the fuel filter drain. It's not cold enough here yet for gelling to be a problem but it'll be nice to know if the pump is functioning properly. I heard the news about the storm at home, we're not looking forward to the drive back.

Thanks again for all the help. Sitting in the hotel with my truck on the fritz is frustrating.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 PM

With the windchill it's -38C/-36F & nearly a foot of snow in the last 24hrs.
Windchill is a non-factor for gelling. Your fuel will only be effected by the ambient, -15F. Windchill is just how cold it's going feel when your outside in that mess....which sounds pretty nasty right now.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should of mentioned where in wyoming you were cause Rock Springs is not in the "middle". I was thinking more like casper so I didn't reply and I know nothing about your year of truck. Anyways, I could of put you in a nice warm shop to look at your truck and still can even though I live in Evanston.

So how much was the hotel room?, they are getting top dollar ($120) in RS for a gaud awful nasty room.

Karl
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the offer copenhagen but I think I'll just wait it out for Dodge to tear into it, I really have a limited supply of tools to work on it. And I'd have to get a wrecker to tow it somewhere and then change towns and all that.

The hotels are pretty steep, mine is like $120 and it is no Four Seasons, that's for sure.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supercharged_hp
Thanks for the offer copenhagen but I think I'll just wait it out for Dodge to tear into it, I really have a limited supply of tools to work on it. And I'd have to get a wrecker to tow it somewhere and then change towns and all that.

The hotels are pretty steep, mine is like $120 and it is no Four Seasons, that's for sure.
To verify pumping action of the LP did you crack the water drain valve at the filter and bump the key? I'm assuming no WIF light come on?

What air temp did it stop running at?

Some of the diesel fuel in Colo comes from warmer states and they don't always switch to the winter blend in a timely manor..

Hope this helps
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Haven't checked the LP yet but I can't get a new one until Monday anyway. It was around 35 F when it died.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM

did you clear the code???
Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Yes, when the truck originally died I check the codes right away before trying to start it again. The only ones there were the P0341 for the CPS and a checksum error, and then the "Fan Speed" one. I cleared the codes then, tried starting it and it sputtered to a really bad idle then died. After that it would just turn over and not fire at all.

The codes haven't come up as I tried to start it a few times, but it was that way before when the CPS was acting up. It'd just fire right up and then in a minute or two the codes would come back.

This is making think that whatever killed the truck has nothing to do with the CPS sensor, and it's not throwing a code either. Would a dead LP throw a code?

Quick Reply: HELP - 07 Mega died in middle of Wyoming!