HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Growling sound from front end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Growling sound from front end?

I had my front end done last week on my '03 CTD 4x4 @ 195K miles. I had new upper and lower ball joints, new tie rods, a new u joint on passenger side, and new front pinion seal replaced on the truck. The drivers side wheel bearing was replaced at 170k and the other wheel bearing appears to be in good shape.
I have a friend who is the instructor for the auto mechanics program at the local high school so he was able to incorporate this project into his curriculum in the classroom. This was helpful in reducing my labor cost. I just purchased the parts.
I had it aligned and had driven about 35 miles when I made a sharp u-turn to the left and heard this awful growling noise. Sounded as if coming from the chunk or axle on the front end.
I returned to the shop, where the instructor went back through the front end. He found a couple of burrs causing the wheels not to spin freely. Was probably caused by tapping with a hammer to get everything apart. Oil was checked in front end and was good.
Back on the road now and I'm hearing the same noise when I make that left turn really sharp. It seems that it is not as bad. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Check the condition of the front axle u joints. Sometimes they "growl", sometimes they feel like 4wd is engaged.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ddt111
I had my front end done last week on my '03 CTD 4x4 @ 195K miles. I had new upper and lower ball joints, new tie rods, a new u joint on passenger side, and new front pinion seal replaced on the truck. The drivers side wheel bearing was replaced at 170k and the other wheel bearing appears to be in good shape.
I have a friend who is the instructor for the auto mechanics program at the local high school so he was able to incorporate this project into his curriculum in the classroom. This was helpful in reducing my labor cost. I just purchased the parts.
I had it aligned and had driven about 35 miles when I made a sharp u-turn to the left and heard this awful growling noise. Sounded as if coming from the chunk or axle on the front end.
I returned to the shop, where the instructor went back through the front end. He found a couple of burrs causing the wheels not to spin freely. Was probably caused by tapping with a hammer to get everything apart. Oil was checked in front end and was good.
Back on the road now and I'm hearing the same noise when I make that left turn really sharp. It seems that it is not as bad. Has anyone had this problem?
high school kids would NOT work on my vehicles!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM

One u-joint on the right side was just installed. The one on the left is in good shape. Could the steering stabalizer make that sound when it extends all the way to the left?
For the kids working on the truck, they are well supervised. The instructor does a very good job with this program.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked anything simple like the brake dust shield hitting the rotor?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 AM

may want to check the hub bearing assembly also. Mine was making a awful noise when it was shot.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM

just off the wall here look to see if you have a tire rubbing on the inner wheel well. probably not but always worth a check.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Took the front end down again. Everything is clearing in terms of brakes and the dust shield. Tires are stock size, no signs of rubbing. This sound occurs while turning the steering wheel all the way to the left. Occurs when pulling forward and backward. Let the wheel come back to the right just a little and sound goes away. The bearing assembly on left side has 25k miles on it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM
RCW

I would suspect a bad wheel bearing pack. You need to check both sides, as loading can be causing either one to growl.

New bearings are not always good bearings. It is just a fact of life with world suppliers using the lowest cost components and labor.

If you can get into a parking lot with a helper and have them stand and listen outside on both sides as the growling is occurring should help isolate the problem.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM

now is it posible that you may have a pump. problem? or steering box problem? just throwing a couple other ideas out there. I may being wrong. but just a thought
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Power steering fluid good. A friend told me that when the steering stabalizer extends all the way out it might make noise. I'm gonna do the parking lot check again like RCW recommends. Sounds like axle shaft rubbing against the housing. Thanks for the thoughts here.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Well folks, I think this is narrowing down to a wheel bearing going bad. RCW, I think your gonna hit the nail on the head. Today I went hunting and drove through a big hole of water. Heard other noises coming from that right front wheel bearing. Just gotta confirm now. Thanks again !