HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Gas Instead of Diesel

Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Instead of Diesel

Not paying attention to what I was doing, I placed regular unleaded in my 98 Dodge Ram 2500. I had approximately 4 gal of diesel in tank and added 5 gal of regular gas. I drove approximately 7 miles before realizing my mistake.

What should I do?

Have I damaged anything?

Please help - Thanks - Robert
Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM

12V or 24V ???
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

drain it, take out fuel filter, toss that, tank up with at least 5 gal fuel, cycle the key till you get fuel in the filter bowl, drain that, new filter, cycle key method of refillijg filter, next part depends on how it was running when you shut it down, normal? then fire it up and go top off the tank with fuel. sounding strange?> your gonna have to crack the injector lines to purge the devils juice till ya get straight fuel. gonna be a long night............................ let us know how you made out. of course you could chance it and try other methods.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:35 PM

If you have a !!!12V!!!. Just drain out your water sep. dump in as much diesel into your tank as possible and add 2 qts motor oil as well (non-detergent). You should be fine. Doing all of that is probly even over kill. Just take it easy for the first 5-10 min of driving.

If you wanna be super safe, drain your entire fuel tank some how. Pull off fuel filter, drain out fuel lines, re-fill tank with diesel pump man. primer button untill fuel come out of filter head, put new filter on, crack injector lines, pump unitill bubbles stop coming out of inject nuts, clean up fuel, tighten down inj, nuts. Try to fire off motor. May have to re-crack a few lines to fire off. I personally wouldnt do that though as i think it is way overkill.

24v you may be in for some work, im not sure how much gas they can consume.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

If you put gas in a 24V Injector Pump it might still run when your done but start saving money, it's gonna go out. It breaks down the seals in the pump. Been ter done that. I filled my tank with gas and ran it until it died. Open the water drain trying to figure out why it died and smelled the gas. Had it towed to a shop where they told it would be a lost cause, they drained the fuel, rinsed the fuel filter cause they didn't have a replacement (this was midnight at a semi repair shop) filled it with diesel and fired it up. Ran just fine to get me home from my road trip but shortly after that the pump went out.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
My wife brought me 5 galons of gas one time when I ran out. She grabbed the wrong can. I found it ran smooth on pure gasoline if a didn't rev it much past idle. I just put her in 5th and drive slow until I got to the first diesel, then filled up. I didn't understand at the time that the pump was lubed by the fuel!

My pump did go out about a year later, but I think that was because of a tank full of water I got with some bio-diesel